Refinishing Woodgrain on the 73 T&C

imperigal

Reaction score
I'll explain how tomorrow...but here are before, during and after!

20180729_160755.jpg

20180729_160751.jpg

20180729_174153.jpg

20180729_182132.jpg

20180729_174235.jpg

20180729_184654.jpg

20180729_184648.jpg

Can you do the same for my '79 Diplomat wagon? The paint/body has aged reasonably well, but the woodgrain has NOT...... have been entertaining the idea of replacing it, but am otherwise REALLY hesitant to open that can of worms.
DiplomatRear.jpg

I started started this project by searching any Forum I could find to learn how other people had restored there wood grain. Aside from removing the old vinyl and applying new fresh fresh stuff, I really didn't see any other Alternatives. I did come across one product online that gave me an idea. It is a clear coating that you can apply over siding and shutters that restores the color to its former vibrant shade. I figured why not do something similar with vinyl wood grain?

don't laugh, but the first thing I tried to do was fill in any Nicks and scratches on my passenger wheel skirt with... A brown Sharpie marker! That did not work! There is too much red in the pigment and after a day of being in the sun it looked horrible.

Next Step was to head to my local hardware store and look for a shade of brown that most resembles my wood grain. It was also important that it be a matte finish. Ditto for the clear coat I would be using. I selected Rust-Oleum matte clear spray paint. I'll take pictures of both cans later.

after wiping everything down thoroughly with wax and grease remover, I began the painstaking process of filling in any imperfections. I'm talking about the nicks, scratches and cracks that penetrated the vinyl down to the paint.

Using a tiny brush, I filled in those imperfections, doing to light coats instead of one. In the future I would even consider using two shades of brown. But as I was in the process of painting, when I stepped back from the car approximately four feet I could barely even tell where the repairs were made!

Once I got all of those filled in, I needed to address the bigger problem of fading along the top edge of the wood grain. I mixed the espresso spray paint with the matte clear spray paint and diluted it a little with lacquer thinner. Using a 2-inch brush, and after practicing a lot on a piece of cardboard, I applied multiple thin coats in a wood grain pattern. Because there was not a lot of pigment in my concoction, I was able to gradually darken the wood grain to the point I thought it was Blended properly.

The last and final step... Masked everything off and applied a nice uniform coat of matte clear.

I had a great time doing this! And I'm more than thrilled with the results! I don't see why this wouldn't last at least a few years, and I will update the thread if anything changes. I'll be tackling the driver side in a couple of weeks, but it's nowhere near as bad as the passenger side was.

this is the clear I used. I will attach a picture of the espresso Brown later. I also forgot to give credit to Claire the saint for keeping me company... And always being under foot!

20180729_181024.jpg

20180729_182104.jpg

Excellent work! I love it when you can restore and not have to replace. It is very satisfying when you can pull it off. I am impressed.

You did a great job, made a huge difference! Thanks for sharing the process and pictures, keep up the good work.
I'm assuming you found your keys?

You did a great job, made a huge difference! Thanks for sharing the process and pictures, keep up the good work.
I'm assuming you found your keys?
Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing it!

As for the keys, I WISH I had found them! We did figure out how to use the keys for the 47 Dodge to start the T&C (with a little jiggling...and luck). For now, that works. We will still need to get the locks rekeyed. Sigh.

I’m impressed! Great job! Now that’s a C body guy. We don’t have reproduction parts available for anything it seems. Plus fixing something yourself is that much more impressive than buying some cheap repro piece.

Trouble on the vinyl/dynoc on mine (as you can tell from the rear pic) is widespread fading, mostly in the rear and on the driver's side. I think your technique of using multiple coats of less pigment to gradually get it to match might work for me, but I'd have more of it to do. Still, it's better than trying to peel off/replace. I have similar trim surrounding the woodgrain on my to your T&C, which looks easier to tape off. MANY THANKS for putting this tutorial on here!

I agree it would be much more difficult to do if you are completely missing the woodgrain coloring itself. But I think you'd be able to recreate it somehow. Definitely using a diluted mixture of black and espresso spray paint. Dragged across the surface with a modified paintbrush? I think it would be better than having it completely faded! And still a lot easier than peeling the old stuff off!

That's a great job, patience and innovation usually pay off. You may have found a potential side business with all old wagon owners!

Here's the mystery ingredient for the refinishing project - being matte is an absolute must. Now...off to install the new calipers and rotors that arrived yesterday!

15333317453892325896015193427225.jpg

Back