Remember the desirable. and rare "999 Omaha Orange"?

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well somebody at FCA did....

e0680e7.jpg

I bet you 99.9% of the people shopping for a Jeep don't know the historical significance of that color.

There are three on the local Jeep lot. I like the color. This was a very popular color on the Sweptline trucks of the '60s.

I don't think that's Bahama yellow because this is Butterscotch. Maybe that's an old faded photo or old faded orange paint.

image.jpg

999 is the code for special order paint, not just Omaha orange. Omaha orange was switched to Vitamin C on the Plymouth and Hemi orange on the dodge in January 1969.
My 69 A12 road runner had a 999 paint code and was Alpine white.

C'mon !!! The suspense is killing me !! So, just WHAT is the significance of the color ??!!! What....WHAT!!!!!....WWWWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

999 is the code for special order paint, not just Omaha orange. Omaha orange was switched to Vitamin C on the Plymouth and Hemi orange on the dodge in January 1969.
My 69 A12 road runner had a 999 paint code and was Alpine white.
I guess what my point was that as "Omaha Orange", it didn't have its own unique paint code and was lumped in with the others as a "999" paint code.

C'mon !!! The suspense is killing me !! So, just WHAT is the significance of the color ??!!! What....WHAT!!!!!....WWWWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Omaha orange started out as a fleet color for utility vehicles. My guess is that sometime around 67/68 Chrysler recognized a growing interest in bright colors, like Omaha orange and made the color available in the car line, which helped lead to the four 1969 high impact spring colors.

TSB 69-23-18 vitamin C (Medium).jpg

Well, the way it is written, it could be interpreted as Vitamin C Orange. Is different than Omaha Orange bcause of this:
1. "Vitamin C Orange, a new paint..."

Is the paint (color) new or the name new?

2. "The new paint will replace..."

Again, "new paint will replace..."

3. And the most compelling argument...

S9zScoth.jpg

The term "similar" was used rather than "same".

Only seeing the actual formulas for each can ascertain this question one way or another with certainty.

Vitamin C Orange was a metallic whereas Omaha Orange wasn't.
If someone wanted to be Concours Purist about it...

That is the same color that Oklahoma Gas & Electric uses on their trucks of all makes, and has done that for many years.

Back