Removal of Lower Steering Shaft on Tilt/Tele column - 68' Chrysler 300

sprice

Reaction score
Its been some time since I restored this column and believe I stopped short of complete disassembly as this column was quite involved and special tools were required. The situation is that I replaced the steering box with the Borgeson and am trying to use the Borgeson coupler. The column is not what came with the car and unsure where I obtained it, in any case I had to add an extension to mate the coupler to the steering box. Not too much of a surprise, its binding at a certain point in a turn. Problem is, when I place a guage on the side and spin the shaft, its out of round. It is about .005 at the bearing, however about .050-.060 at the tip of the original shaft. The shaft is not the best piece of forged material I have seen.

Seems to me the original couple design could probably withstand some variance in shaft movement, where this Borgeson coupler needs to be perfectly true. My plan is to have a machine shop true this shaft however would be nice to be able to remove it. I know its a collapsible shaft assembly and there are considerations with involved. If anyone can share some thoughts or experience if its possible to remove the lower shaft or if I am missing something, much appreciated.

I would suggest going back to a rubber insulated isolation joint because they are designed do exactly what the Borgeson joint is preventing – dealing with the slight variances of the non-precision assembly of your steering column.

A much cheaper option in my opinion.

After looking at this last night, I am in agreement Ross. I believe the variances will always be there because of the collapsible shafts. Truing the bottom end will not solve the problem. Thanks.

Back