Remove steering wheel?

I just did mine yesterday Nick, but I don't want to give bad info if they are different, which I know they are initially. I'm sure someone here knows specific to your car. I bet they are similar once you get off the cosmetic potion of the wheel. I imagine you will need to make some sort of gear puller with a piece of metal and a couple of bolts and nuts for the last step.

Go to Princess Auto or Crappy tire and get a steering wheel puller. They are cheap. Remove cover and center nut. Find the 2 correct size bolts in the puller kit and fasten to the holes each side of the center steering rod. Then start tightening the center bolt on the puller. Once the wheel is loose be careful to disconnect any wires and you're done.

1. the triangle in the center of the wheel has clips behind it, pull it off.
2. there are three screws that hold the horn ring on, take them out.
3. loosen the center nut until you reach the end of the shaft. leave it on a couple of turns to protect the threads.
4. install the puller. you'll have too use trial and error to figure out which holes will center the puller. insert the two puller bolts in the appropriate holes and then the center screw. the nut on the end of the steering shaft will keep the center screw from wandering.
5. tighten the center screw until the puller tightens up. check to make sure everything is solid and secure, then tighten the center screw until it pops loose. it can take a lot of force to get it to break loose.

6. remove the screws and bolts from the puller, the center shaft nut, and the wheel should pull off by hand.

Help. When removing the steering wheel and pulling on the center triangle, what kind of clips are there? Are they part of the triangle or are they metal...etc.
thanks in advance. I have a 71 fury Gran Coupe.

Hey Nick. Thanks. What I'm trying to do is tighten a loose turn signal stalk. It seems like the screw holding it on is loose. Any ideas?

Hi there. I'm trying to do the same thing with my 66 Monaco 500 hardtop. Not sure on how to get the horn ring etc off and don't want to bust it. I'm in NZ and Monaco parts aren't exactly thick on the ground here !!
My right hand rear stop and indicator lights have stopped working and have tracked the problem back to the column. Also as my indicators have stopped self cancelling, I thought I'd fix both problems at the same time. Any help would be much appreciated.:sSig_thanks:

Last edited:
Doesn't the horn button rotate off? Grab the wheel and twist the button off like it was a jar cap.

Doesn't the horn button rotate off? Grab the wheel and twist the button off like it was a jar cap.

That is how my '66 comes off I think I only turned it about an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn counter clockwise,(it will stop, mine turned very freely) and then pull off.

Hi there. I'm trying to do the same thing with my 66 Monaco 500 hardtop. Not sure on how to get the horn ring etc off and don't want to bust it. I'm in NZ and Monaco parts aren't exactly thick on the ground here !!
My right hand rear stop and indicator lights have stopped working and have tracked the problem back to the column. Also as my indicators have stopped self cancelling, I thought I'd fix both problems at the same time. Any help would be much appreciated.:sSig_thanks:
you have a bad turn signal switch/cam inside you will need a new one.

Yep. Thats what I've worked out. Once I can get the horn ring/centre button off (all one piece) I can order a new part off e-bay, unless there are any better solutions?

Yep. Thats what I've worked out. Once I can get the horn ring/centre button off (all one piece) I can order a new part off e-bay, unless there are any better solutions?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. The horn button and ring are two pieces, after you remove the horn button you can then remove the ring. The button and ring are not available new but the horn contact switch is.

Alan

Thanks Alan. My post wasn't very clear. I also didn't realise that the button was separate. Button and ring are now off. As to the new part, I was referring to the turn signal switch and cam. I assume that the horn contact switch is part of this. If not, no problem as the horn works fine, it's just the turn signal switch that appears to be faulty. Thanks again

John

Thanks Alan. My post wasn't very clear. I also didn't realise that the button was separate. Button and ring are now off. As to the new part, I was referring to the turn signal switch and cam. I assume that the horn contact switch is part of this. If not, no problem as the horn works fine, it's just the turn signal switch that appears to be faulty. Thanks again

John

The horn switch is one part the turn signal switch another and the cam yet another, all available new.

Alan

In my case just my turn signal stalk is loose but works and returns to neutral correctly. Is there a screw I will see on my 71 Ply after I remove the steering wheel? I don't want to get it apart and need some impossible to find part.

Back