Removing Dash

tmj91

Reaction score
Im trying to remove a dash from a 69 Fury. Id like to remove it with the fewest pieces possible. Anyway to just unbolt the frame and take the whole thing out? Any how-to's anywhere for this?

you can but it is heavy and awkward. remove the lower column cover, then you need to drop the steering column as far as possible (three 7/16 nuts under the dash and three 1/2 bolts at the firewall). if it is a column shift,don't forget to remove the indicator needle before dropping the column. you'll need to make sure all wiring and the heater control cables are disconnected . speedo cable too.(double and triple check). if you unscrew the a pillar covers and slide them up as far as possible, they should clear when you tip the dash. four screws in the defroster outlets(mine are 3/8 but i'm not sure if they are original). two long 7/16 bolts, one on each bottom lower corner. the dash needs to come straight down off the steering column bolts and then tip it back and it's out.

Almost like you've done this before! Nice job on the description.
if this were a B-body you'd be removing the windshield too.

you can but it is heavy and awkward. remove the lower column cover, then you need to drop the steering column as far as possible (three 7/16 nuts under the dash and three 1/2 bolts at the firewall). if it is a column shift,don't forget to remove the indicator needle before dropping the column. you'll need to make sure all wiring and the heater control cables are disconnected . speedo cable too.(double and triple check). if you unscrew the a pillar covers and slide them up as far as possible, they should clear when you tip the dash. four screws in the defroster outlets(mine are 3/8 but i'm not sure if they are original). two long 7/16 bolts, one on each bottom lower corner. the dash needs to come straight down off the steering column bolts and then tip it back and it's out.

You make it sound easy...when can I expect you???

The trick is to get everything all bolted back up and looking pretty and not discovering a couple of extra hex nuts on the floor.

The two steering column support threaded studs can be a problem. I unscrewed them and was able to align everything much easier.... Then reinstalled them

I myself dont like to drop the whold dash. I'd rather disassemble it piece by piece

Almost like you've done this before! Nice job on the description.
if this were a B-body you'd be removing the windshield too.

yeah, i just re-installed mine last weekend so it was fresh on my mind. also, as an after thought, don't forget to take off the vent cables from the bottom of the dash

I need to take a look at mine and see how only the front face can come off to access the radio. I want to replace the stock AM radio with a stock AM/FM radio.

Back