Removing push nut retainer without damaging them?

Chrome58

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Is there a safe way to remove the push nut retainer without damaging them?

I'm specifically thinking about the large round retainers that are used on the studs of the rear bumper panel on my '70 Sport Fury (the panel where "PLYMOUTH" is written). I would like to keep them intact, as there's no direct replacement available.

Thanks.

Push Nut or Push Washer? The nuts can be un-screwed (may need a little prying too), the washers can be removed with careful prying back of the grippy clips with a very small screwdriver or ice pick to relieve the tension, then pried off, then for reinstall, place on a heavy metal plate and with a very small ball peen hammer tap what you pried up back to about the original shape for the grippy clips.

I have found those retainers at some hardware stores if you do damage them.

sometimes if they are stuck(and you have room) a quick pop with a hammer on the end of the stud May invert them and make them easier to wiggle or screw off. Put a nut on the threads before hitting if you plan on keeping the studs.

These “thread cutting nuts” are what hold my emblems on my ‘68 Chrysler. I bought an assortment by Dorman that included 1/8,5/32,3/16, 1/4 & 5/16 and another pack at Napa.
image.jpg

Yes, sorry, I meant a "push washer".
Here's a picture of it.
The panel stud is 1/4" and the OD is 3/4".

20211106_190124.jpg

I just carefully pry a couple of the flanges up enough to remove. Then bent them back and re-install.
Another way is grab it with pliers or small vise grip and just twist it off as if it was on a threaded stud.

Back