Removing/replacing the heater unit on 68 fury

Knebel

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the blower and heater unit in my 68Fury III. The car originally had an AC which is no longer persent and I rarely drive it to the extend that I really need the heater either, except a windshield defrost is 100% necessary. So this isn't a question for the purists....

I can imagine that this whole under dash unit is fairly heavy, has anyone removed it before and maybe replaced it with one of those smaller and lighter "hotrod heaters"? I am wondering how would one make it possible to attach the ducts for the windshield and such to a heaterbox like that?

I would love to put an AC back into my car but thats way to expensive for what its worth.

They are quite heavy, at least the one in my NYer, isprobably between 40 - 50 pounds. I have no idea how one of the hot rod ones hooks up. There is a tread where I retrograde my AC system to have a Sanden compressor. I had about $500 in it and did everything but the charge on my own. The charging cost me about $125. I don't know the exact cost because I had some other work done at the same time.

Converting from RV-2 to Sanden

Is your heater core leaking? If it is not leaking and your blower still works you can use it just for heat and defrost.

No its not leaking, its its just about saving so e weight and space.
I would leave it as is. It is a lot of work to remove those old A/C units. Sure they are a little heavy but the space they take up is out of the way and really can't be used for much else. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back