Removing Steer Wheel - 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury

Mudeblue

Reaction score
1965 Plymouth Sport Fury - Trying to fix the turn signal switch which will not return after taking the corner. I removed the horn ring and the nut holding the steering wheel on the shaft but can not pull the steering wheel off. The Service Manual states I should use a C-2834 steering wheel puller. Have no idea where one would get their hands on one. At the same time, I am concerned because the center part of the wheel is broken in several places which I am sure can be fixed (glued) after removal of the wheel assuming it doesn't brake when removing the wheel itself. Any suggestions on how to remove the steering wheel!

upload_2018-5-1_20-12-20.png

1965 Plymouth Sport Fury - Trying to fix the turn signal switch which will not return after taking the corner. I removed the horn ring and the nut holding the steering wheel on the shaft but can not pull the steering wheel off. The Service Manual states I should use a C-2834 steering wheel puller. Have no idea where one would get their hands on one. At the same time, I am concerned because the center part of the wheel is broken in several places which I am sure can be fixed (glued) after removal of the wheel assuming it doesn't brake when removing the wheel itself. Any suggestions on how to remove the steering wheel!

I don't think you need to worry about the wheel breaking as you pull it off as steering wheels have a metal frame that the plastic is molded over. Several restoration vendors offer re-molding services in the appropriate color if you are concerned about the appearance. (Not cheap, runs $250 or more) Most any steering wheel puller will do the job, if you already have a harmonic balancer puller, that will often also work.

See www.steeringwheelbob.com or www.qualityrestorations.com among several others.

Dave

Do anyone have tips on removing the horn cap and ring? I have a '66 Polara 500, and want to get the horn to work (horn itself works, tested with wire from battery). The service manual says to press down and turn about 1/4 turn left. This thing will not budge, even with help from a friend. Photo attached. Thanks! View attachment 183002 View attachment 183002

Assuming you have a wheel that looks something like this (either in a 2 or 3 spoke variant)
upload_2018-5-3_8-17-3.png

Then the center portion 'cap' if you will, will turn close to 1/4 turn and come loose and after removing that you'll see three screws holding the outer rim of the horn ring to the center of the steering wheel.

Do anyone have tips on removing the horn cap and ring? I have a '66 Polara 500, and want to get the horn to work (horn itself works, tested with wire from battery). The service manual says to press down and turn about 1/4 turn left. This thing will not budge, even with help from a friend. Photo attached. Thanks! View attachment 183002 View attachment 183002
Same as my 65 Plymouth! TURN HARD!

Back