Repainting Center Console Cover

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Are you sure Hank did it that way? The center console after installing the new carpet, first picture, was showing wear, tear and abuse from 34 years of use so repainting seemed like a good idea and still does. HOWEVER, console is chrome, black stripes and argent paint. This then required three separate complete tapings, 2-3 light coats of paint for each color which in between required a little drying time, remove tape, bake, re-tape, paint, etc., etc. for the second and third time. Second picture is the third go around and current status of WIP. A picture of this should be in the dictionary next to the word “tedious!” I am about 12 hours deep into the project disregarding paint time, drying and baking. Sharp metal objects WILL NOT be laid on the console after car is complete!

9EF00CEC-D249-45D3-9DEE-BA718BA9AB1E.jpeg

0A6BBA8E-636F-4AA9-A878-EE940C61D4CD.jpeg

Looks very, very nice, and quite sporty! Nice work for sure.

But I have no sympathy for you. It took 23 hours for me to tediously mask my grille to repaint the faded School Bus Yellow striping (which is red on regular '70 300s, fyi). Once all five parts were masked, painting took a mere hour. Getting all those bits of masking removed without tearing the paint took.....forever.

WTKD5041.JPG

UCGS8131.JPG

VOSP6199.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

School Bus Yellow.jpg

But I have no sympathy for you. It took 23 hours for me to tediously mask my grille to repaint the faded School Bus Yellow striping (which is red on regular '70 300s, fyi). Once all five parts were masked, painting took a mere hour. Getting all those bits of masking removed without tearing the paint took.....forever.

View attachment 575460

View attachment 575462

View attachment 575463

View attachment 575464

View attachment 575465
Looks GREAT! What we don’t get ourselves into when it becomes a labor of love of which only we have a real appreciation!

Looks GREAT! What we don’t get ourselves into when it becomes a labor of love of which only we have a real appreciation!
Shakespeare couldn't have said it any better!

Wait a minute....Shakespeare wrote "Love's Labour's Lost". Are you plagiarizing? :rofl:

View attachment 575460

View attachment 575462

View attachment 575463

View attachment 575464

View attachment 575465
I can't help but wonder if that could have been done with vinyl...

The console top was likely done with a precut drop-over mask - disposed of each time, and this would have been done at the vendor who provided the parts for Mopar. Sometimes one can see overspray patterns where the overlay mask was poorly held down or they got too vigorous with the spray pressure.

Back