For Sale Replacement Body Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I wonder if they will ever to do a C-Body???

This is the way to go with a fresh start.

Licensed Replacement Body Shell

MSRP is $17,500 for Part # CHAL70CP with doors and deck lid.

Plus a Crating and Handling Charge of $495.00. All Bodies are shipped FOB Camarillo, California freight prepaid, or you could make your own freight arrangements.

70Challenger1.jpg

70Challenger2.jpg

OUCH. $17, 500.00 plus $500.00 for crating, Plus around $2000.00 for shipping, you are at $20,000.00 before you turn the first wrench.

And at Finland that car would be 2017 and has to meet 2017 smog test, safety, crash test etc...
Ofc VIN swapping is option, but its not legal.

And im dreaming, maybe someday i get new trunk floor for my c-body :lol:

Pennies compared to a 70 Hemi Challenger.

Plus....its brand new and zero rust.

I would powder coat the entire shell before painting it.

Check out some of the threads on A bodies forum about this. The legaleze involved lets say you have a rotted to **** 70 hemi challenger. Can you swap the vin, data plate,and both the radiator upper support and left trunk weatherstrip rail to the new shell and its still a 70 hemi challenger? Or does it become a rebody, a fake, counterfeit? Can you ask as much for it as you could if you actually fixed the rust bucket you took all the I.D. numbers from? Good question. There were responses all over the map.

Personally i think and i am not a lawyer now, but i think the way the law reads everything under that vin tag can be subject to replacement. The body shell being just a "part" until it has identification numbers on it, and is assembled into a car. Some people say NO. The 50% rule applies, if more than 50% of the car is not original, then its a rebody and worth less than an original.

These same people prob wouldent give a rats *** if the vins and I.D. #s swapped over were from a rotted to **** 318 challenger with clean paperwork. The reality is, nobody in their right mind would waste the time or money to rebody a 318 challenger. Even a 340 challenger would be a stretch, because the body costs too much. Anybody doing this would be looking at using one of these for a 440, or Hemi car.

What becomes an issue is swapping vins and I.D. numbers on cars themselves, with the intent to defraud or decieve. Got a good slant 6 body, with a title lein, or its stolen, and you swap a set of numbers from a rotted 340 duster with a clean title. That becomes fraud, and is illegal. The stuff chop shops do.

However a new clean body shell does not present such problems IMHO. It should come with a certificate of origin, and is essentially just a part.

This being said slantsix, as long as you had enough of a rotted original 70 challenger with the 70 challenger vin and I.D. tags and paperwork, upon assembly you could probably run it through your motor vehicle inspection in finland as a 1970 challenger. If not, then your stuck with them issuing a VIN, prob based off your certificate of origin for the body. You may be able to get around having it have to pass for 2017 standards since you are not a low volume auto manufacturer, but a hobbiest. I am sure there are hobbiests that build kit cars in your country. Those rules could apply.

Are Challengers really that much more popular than 68-70 Chargers? I can't believe they haven't started producing those bodies yet. Imagine how many replacement bodies Hollywood can destroy for DOH and F&F stunts, rather than the real things.

Not to mention the fact that when the charger is used up and crushed the VIN# is gone. That tiny metal plate stamped full of letters and numbers is the largest key to the giant jigsaw puzzle known as a rebody. Without that number, and the paperwork to go with it, you are at a complete stop.

As far as repopping a 68-70 charger goes, they are pretty close sheetmetal wise to being able to do that. Aside from some structural bracing that they would need to make dies for, the A pillar sheetmetal, and the cowl inner and outer structure they have everything else repopped.

At the end of the day this is a Kit-Car and follows all the kit car rules, transferring a VIN is illegal anywhere in the United States.

End of story not open for conversation or interpretation.

Alan

At the end of the day this is a Kit-Car and follows all the kit car rules, transferring a VIN is illegal anywhere in the United States.

End of story not open for conversation or interpretation.

Alan
So your best legal bet is to purchase a bad body and repair it? At these prices it would probably work out the same and be less problems.

Pennies compared to a 70 Hemi Challenger.

Plus....its brand new and zero rust.
BINGO. I'd do it if I wanted an E-body.
They've been doing it to Camaros, Mustangs, Model A's, tri-five Chevys, F1 pickups, etc, for years.
If they did a 76 NYB, I'd be the first one in line. Hell, I've got all the parts, now. lol
AND I would never claim it as a "restoration". I'd register it as new on its Certification of Origin. It would be a new rebody and I'd say it.
Why not. It still would be worth 25-hundred bucks.

Last edited:
So your best legal bet is to purchase a bad body and repair it? At these prices it would probably work out the same and be less problems.
Not necessarily, build the car and go through the process of having a VIN assigned to it. The VIN with not be like the 1970 Dodge VIN but that which the issuing agency assigns it. In California this car would be registered as a 1970 and must meet all safety and emission laws for 1970. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure on these.

Alan

Personally i think and i am not a lawyer now, but i think the way the law reads everything under that vin tag can be subject to replacement. The body shell being just a "part" until it has identification numbers on it, and is assembled into a car. Some people say NO. The 50% rule applies, if more than 50% of the car is not original, then its a rebody and worth less than an original.

The question goes beyond what is legal. Even if it is legal to transfer a vin tag to one of these shells (or to a donor car), in my mind it would be dishonest to fail to disclose the history. I also don't understand why anyone would feel like they owned a "real" hemi challenger if they purchased such a car. It would still be great to have one, but not as great as having a real one. Where the dividing line is between real and fake varies for each person. Moparmat mentioned a 50/50 rule. I'm not sure where the line is for me. As for asking price, I think people should try to get as much as they can, as long as they are honest about the history.

Is the hobby that out of ideas that cooking up a Franken-Challenger (or paying big dollars for the real thing) is the most interesting thing we can do? Strange that it's an aspect of the "auto hobby", but I have about as much interest in building a Made-in-China version of a Challenger as a do in playing videogames, protesting bathroom equality or mastering the kazoo.

I've got enough ideas for more interesting car builds (like a turbo-diesel /6 in a phantom R-body station wagon) to last a lifetime before I ever lifted a wrench to build an e-body Xerox.

How is this shell replacement any different than a clone or any other variant? VIN assignment is VIN assignment according to your state laws. Who cares as long as it is done legally.

You can build yourself a Hemi or a 440-6 Challenger for a fraction of what those cars are selling for now.

I'm with Stan...if they offered a Formal NYB shell I would have to race Stan to be first in line.

The question goes beyond what is legal. Even if it is legal to transfer a vin tag to one of these shells (or to a donor car).

Your replacing a part of a car........ This way of thinking would make it illegal to change a water pump without full discloser.

I'm with Stan...if they offered a Formal NYB shell I would have to race Stan to be first in line.

If either of you guys will pay me $15-20K for a perfect body-in-white Formal, I will begin constructing a crate immediately. I'll even include fenders and hood.

The reality is, nobody in their right mind would waste the time or money to rebody a 318 challengr.

My Dads Friend bought a 73 Challenger 318 car, Restored it from the ground up on a rotissery. Then made it a 340-6 pack 3 Speed with O/D. after everything was set and Done i think he only made about 5k profit. He said almost every guy that was looking at the car told him He should of restored it to all original with the 318 as he would of got a lot more for it. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back