Replacing brake lines

71Newp

Reaction score
I am replacing brake lines on my 78 Magnum. My question is about the retaining clips on the firewall and frame rails. Do I pry them open and lift out the lines and then re-close them? Or open them up a little and drift them out with a piece of hardwood 1x2? Or leave them as is and drift them out? Thank you,

I think they slide off, one side should be open opposite a raised lip that you can grip with a vise grip or similar.

I am replacing brake lines on my 78 Magnum. My question is about the retaining clips on the firewall and frame rails. Do I pry them open and lift out the lines and then re-close them? Or open them up a little and drift them out with a piece of hardwood 1x2? Or leave them as is and drift them out? Thank you,

Without a pic, it's impossible to tell... But you should have the same "U" shaped clip that most cars have, and it sounds like you're talking about that.

Use a large and long flat screwdriver to knock it loose as it probably rusted in place, once you can grab the lip, use a slip-joint plier to remove it. Wheel it out, spray it, put it back in. Or you most likely will get new ones with the new lines. Don't buy cheap crap... It's your brakes. Lol

Back