replacing dash harness 67 newport

swisherred

Reaction score
SO I have to replace my harness in the dash. Im not really prepared for removing the windshield to get the dash out...is it possible to replace the harness without removing the dash? If so...what would need to be removed to be able to do so?

First, I will say that I'm a b-body guy, so take this for what it's worth. "Technically" I don't think you have to remove anything to install the wiring harness, but I think it would be difficult at best.

You probably could just remove the gage cluster & maybe the glove box so you can get access to the inside of the dash (that's what I did on my Roadrunner). It really wasn't that bad of a job and took me 2 evenings to complete.

I'm not sure about availability of C-body wire harnesses, but you might check a company called M&H (if I remember correctly). Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

Thank you. I have the replacement ordered...and have started taking everything out of the dash...originally I was planning on removing the dash and reworking it till I found out about the windshield. That will have to wait.

Not sure on a ‘67 Newport, but on a ‘68 Polara it is possible to remove the dash with the windshield in. Just barely though. You need a small hand wrench for the top bolts and push the windshield seal out of your way. What I don’t know is if you can re- install it. It would be difficult to get the bolts re-started.
Here is a picture of the back side of mine with the wires intact but out of the car for clarity. It should give you an idea of what you need to get to when you are blindly fishing the wires out.
If you can get the glove box and IP out of the way, you may be able to get it.
IMG_1390.JPG

Thank you. The glove box is missing already. Having a bit of trouble getting the Speedo out...hard to see how to disconnect the Speedo cable. Going to go through the manual to see how it's put in. Taking pictures of everything as I go so I know how to put it back too.

Lower steering column, remove trim around gauge, cluster remove gauge cluster

well that was fun....got the old harness out through the IP hole...now to compare it to the 300 harness an make the alterations needed. Also going to add in LED lighting into the IP and change over to the headlight relays to take some of the power off of the harness and switches. It looks like I will be replacing some vacuum lines too. When the harness melted it melted a hole in the rear vent lines. I dont look forward to doing this again when I tear the whole car apart later for paint.

Well I have a 67 Monaco 500 in trying to restore but I see no dodge 67 Monaco “C” body harness offered on that site? Am I wrong?

So far so good. All rebuilt using the 300 harness for parts. Will install it after I ring it all out again to make sure it's right.

Back