Replacing Everything- '65 New Yorker Drum Brakes

Sir Patrick

Reaction score
I am wanting to rebuild and replace everything new on my drum brake system on my '65 new Yorker, except the drums themselves.

New springs, shoes, cylinders, etc.

I am hearing alot of aftermarket is junk replacement for soooo many different parts of these old molars, and guessing the same is true for the brake system.

Any recomendations on brands, kits or places to order everything I need without skimping on quality or safety?

Also-

I haven't done a whole lot of work on drums, and the bit I did was a very loooong time ago...

Are there any "tricks" to working with these classic Mopar systems I might want/need to know about?

@mobileparts or Murray Park. Between the two they might have everything you need in good old American replacement parts.

I went through a lot of nonsense with some of the new offshore wheel cylinders last year on my Barracuda.

I decided that if you can rebuild the originals, you are better off.

If you can't rebuild them, look for some older replacements on eBay. If you feel the need, replace the rubber components if they've been sitting around. Look for Wagner, Raybestos etc. Look at the pictures and you'll often see the same casting numbers as your stock pieces. NOS is pretty much the same except the price is higher because of the box. Chrysler didn't make this stuff, they sourced it from other manufacturers.

Springs and hardware are kind of a crap shoot, but again, look for the older replacements. FWIW, the offshore versions I had seem to be working just fine.

NOS for shoes if possible. IMHO, the Centric shoes are a last option. I tried them and the dust was unbelievable. Again, eBay is a good source. Shop for price and by size rather than by application.

@mobileparts or Murray Park. Between the two they might have everything you need in good old American replacement parts.
These vendors should have all you need. Craig @mobile parts is the man for quality parts. Murray would have ‘65 Fury specific used parts if needed. Make sure you have drum brake tools to do the job. A return spring tool & hold down spring tool makes the job easier & safer. Do only one side at a time so you have a reference point. Smaller shoe to the front on each wheel. Good luck. Keep us posted.

The tools that you need are pretty simple. You can do it without, but they make things easier.

These are from Harbor Freight, but you can get them anywhere... Amazon should have them.

All you'll really use are the spring remover/installer (foreground) , the retainer spring tool (screwdriver handle) and the adjuster tools.

image_18347.jpg

I decided that if you can rebuild the originals, you are better off.

Recommendation on the rebuild kit? Or does this not matter? They have them across the street, advanced auto- but want to check, just in case.

Recommendation on the rebuild kit? Or does this not matter? They have them across the street, advanced auto- but want to check, just in case.
I don't think that it matters. If you buy old stock, you risk it being, well, old... and rubber isn't like fine wine where it gets better with age.

Sir Patrick,
You heard correctly. This Chineseum garbage is brutal... Their Quality control is non - existant... Their job is to spit out as much as they can, as fast as they can, and if some have issues, too bad... Some attitude, eh....
That being said, I have almost everything including N.O.S. U.S.A. made Brake Drums (except for the Imperials...)
First, 99.5 % of Chrysler New Yorkers used
11" x 3" Brake Shoes in the Front. &
11" x 2 1/2" Brake Shoes in the Rear
(The light duty systems used 11" x 2 3/4" in the Front and 11" x 2" in the Rear on the 0.5 % remaining ----- you should not have these..... But check first....)

I have everything -- Brake Shoes, Brake Hoses, Brake Hardware, Wheel Cylinders, and BRAKE DRUMS, brand new, American made....
Except the Front 11" x 3" N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes... detmatt just scooped up my last two sets..... Hopefully, I can find more... It is CRITICAL !!!!!
(This new garbage is like 10 grit sandpaper -- to stop, it grips and grabs, and rips and shreds, and tears up brake drums to smithereens......)

Shout out and thanks to detmatt and mrfury68, two intelligent Men, who know and want ONLY quality !!!!!!

And Sir Patrick -- you are welcome to call me anytime.
Always best to simply call me ---'516 - 485 - 1935....

After this coronavirus pandemic situation is over, I have two ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoe Deals to go and buy --- one in Taunton, Mass. -- but I have his list -- no 11" x 3" Fronts in his 38 sets...., And to an hour north of Albany -- he had approximately 100 sets --- but just read me like 8 or 9 #s on the top of the pile -- and I told him that I would take them all --;but, obviously, I don't know IF there are any in there....
There is no one for me to call -- anyone I know to call -- I have bought all of theirs already !!!!!!!!!!
Call me, Yours, Craig......

Sir Patrick,
You heard correctly. This Chineseum garbage is brutal... Their Quality control is non - existant... Their job is to spit out as much as they can, as fast as they can, and if some have issues, too bad... Some attitude, eh....
That being said, I have almost everything including N.O.S. U.S.A. made Brake Drums (except for the Imperials...)
(The light duty systems used 11" x 2 3/4" in the Front and 11" x 2" in the Rear on the 0.5 % remaining ----- you should not have these..... But check first....)

I have everything -- Brake Shoes, Brake Hoses, Brake Hardware, Wheel Cylinders, and BRAKE DRUMS, brand new, American made....
Except the Front 11" x 3" N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes... detmatt just scooped up my last two sets..... Hopefully, I can find more... It is CRITICAL !!!!!
(This new garbage is like 10 grit sandpaper -- to stop, it grips and grabs, and rips and shreds, and tears up brake drums to smithereens......)

Shout out and thanks to detmatt and mrfury68, two intelligent Men, who know and want ONLY quality !!!!!!

After this coronavirus pandemic situation is over, I have two ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoe Deals to go and buy --- one in Taunton, Mass. -- but I have his list -- no 11" x 3" Fronts in his 38 sets...., And to an hour north of Albany -- he had approximately 100 sets --- but just read me like 8 or 9 #s on the top of the pile -- and I told him that I would take them all --;but, obviously, I don't know IF there are any in there....
There is no one for me to call -- anyone I know to call -- I have bought all of theirs already !!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe I should grab some extra drum parts for my '67 while I still can - let me know if you find more of them. THANKS for this great info.

One add on , I just thought of, is that sometimes at the shows (which is actually how I learned of those two loads of ++ N.O.S. ++ Asbestos Brake Shoes...)
Someone will come up to me and let me know that they have some available....
Obviously, as we all wait during this coronavirus pandemic situation to flatten... And shows to begin again, that can't happen as easily while we are all homeward bound...
We need to get our lives back !!!! The sooner the better.... But of course, we must be safe, first...
Dead men don't drive on Earth's roads !!!!!!
Stay Safe, all... Drink Orange Juice... Yours, Craig...

Sir Patrick,

I will be in contact soon. I try to buy American anytime I can-

20200505_113820.jpg

Back