Replacing gas tank on 68 Imperial?

GoneLoco99

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace an update the stock fuel system on my 1968 Imperial.
As I am shopping for replacement gas tank, I see in 67 they offered a 1 vent style & 68 they offer a 2 vent style.
My question is…since my Imperial isn’t “stock” and I am eliminating everything I “don’t need”, can I just buy the tank with the 1 vent?
I’ll be running a Holley electric fuel pump with new 3/8 breaded fuel line, with inline AN fuel filter fittings from the tank to the pump and into the carburetor.

Does the car have a single line to the fuel pump or does it also have a fuel return line to the tank? THAT might determine the number of line provisions of the fuel tank fittings.

Just remember that inside of that shiney braided line is a layer of rubber, which is also subject to ethano'd fuel issues as normal rubber fuel line. All the braided outer layer does is protect the inner rubber from getting damaged from external sources (i.e., getting cut or similar). FWIW

Might not look quite as trick as the braided line, but you could get some modern EFI-rated plastic fuel line tubing and carefully heat-bend it to fit. Key word is "low heat" to not acquire thin spots at the bends. Possibly some DIY videos on YouTube?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

If you are eliminating everything, as you say...heck you could make a fuel cell work...

Back