Replacing stock speakers in my '72 Newport

MattfromMaine

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

One of the winter projects I wanted to tackle with my '72 Newport Royal coupe was to swap out the dry rotted factory speakers so my tunes aren't coming out of the bluetooth speaker sitting on the dash, connected to my phone. I'm guessing any 6x9 or 6x8 will work for the rear but what is the configuration in the front of the car? What have people used successfully? I searched previous threads but didn't really find a clear speaker configuration up front with specific speakers that worked well for a '69 - '73 c-body.

Thanks for the responses in advance! - MG

Most 6 x 9 will work in the rear deck. You may need to use longer threaded " studs" or screws .

If you have a single speaker front dash a 4 x 10 is what you would use. However there is a option from many classic car audio vendors that have a "adapter " plate for that 4 x 10 space where it utilizes two 4 x 4 speakers for stereo sound.
If you have a three speaker front pad you will need 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 speakers . These can be had at a car audio house OR even Amazon .

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A...ds=pioneer+6x9+speakers&qid=1611763555&sr=8-3

i know you have a newport - on the fury the front dash shape makes speaker choices hard - dont know your situation.

but you need an amp to drive aftermarket speakers.

then you need power to the amp.

Then you need to upgrade your charging circuit to keep up with the new power demand.

or buy stock replacement 10watt speakers or whatever they were BITD.

just saying there is more to it then just slapping in some speakers IMO.

try not to die -

- saylor

@MattfromMaine, have you see this thread? It started out as a discussion about rear speakers, but I have found in it all the information that I need for a redo of the front speakers in Regina, my 1970 Polara 'vert.
Wow.. Not sure how I missed that. That thread covers it. I like the idea of keeping it original. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Having a working stereo is going to be a huge improvement.

This site looks like a great way to go.

Classic Car Speakers

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fos...&qid=1611797964&sprefix=3+1/2+,aps,576&sr=8-8

61pG5syJKTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I used these in my front pad ....

Home - Radio Restoration
I used these guys to modify the factory AM/8 track radio to a 40 watt 4 channel/ blue tooth / USB.

I then used these under the rear seat .. Undercover II Speakers Pair 250W

UNDERCOVER-2-Speakers-250W-Main_540x540.jpg

Im not impressed as I threw it together off the cuff, shooting from the hip. It certainly isnt like previous Kenwood systems Ive had in my hardtops but its better than nothing on long rides.

What radio (and amp specs) are you desiring to use? Just curious.

In the pictures on the referenced website, you might have noticed the "red dot" on the speaker housing. Whereas the factory wiring has connectors that only go on one way. Or some aftermarket speakers have terminals with slightly different widths (and supplied wiring to match, usually with one wire being more copper and the other one being more silver). This is to maintain "phasing", so that the voice coils move in the same direction. This is more important on the lower frequency tones where the magnet causes to move farther than on higher tones, so you want everything moving in unison rather than otherwise. Not unlike "polarity".

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I found a 72 Newport sedan in the junkyard back in the 1980s. It was the only Newport I ever saw with twin dash cutouts under the windshield that held 3.5" speakers. Naturally, the factory speakers we not very good.

I got the grill/holders out, then took out my Newport windshield to cut holes for these factory grills. Then I got some quality 3.5" speakers. Over the years the bass damaged them so now I am installing new ones with bass blockers to prevent damage. With 6X9s in the rear they give good stereo for me, but young kids would not be impressed.

It is doubtful you will ever find these front factory speaker grills. So the next best option would be to install one of those double speakers for the original center speaker location. Might even sound better, although the stereo imaging would not be as impressive.

Factory radio? You could try Crutchfield, I've never looked for classics there but on newer vehicles you'll get any adapters needed and wiring for direct connection to the factory harness(s) for no charge.

Back