Restomod questions

ibgreezy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has done a Restomod on a 1969 Chrysler 300? What modern engines and transmissions are compatible with this vehicle? I believe reading somewhere that the modern hemi’s work. I could not find any threads on the forum of anyone detailing the process. I wish I did not have to go this route but I bought the car under the assumption that it had a good running engine and transmission, everything seems fine until after the transaction was completed (the car died on the way home).

The "modern" engines do run well, BUT they ALL have the 8-speed automatics in order to get past their weak lower-rpm torque, from my observations. It will take off-idle torque to move that 4500lb car decently. PLUS, the need for something like a 3.55 rear axle so that OD can be used effectively with the taller tires. Most have low gear ratios of 4.5-4.75 or so to accomplish that "launch", which gets the rpm past that weaker lower-rpm torque quickly so that you don't notice it not there. Then their 2nd gear is about what low gear is in a TF.

Using a normal 440/375 spec engine, but with EFI (of your choice, even one which also controls the spark advance), electronic ignition, and some other modern touches might be the easiest thing to do. NO need for a Hellephant motor, just a good rebuild with modern additions.

Holley currently has lots of Gen III Hemi kits, but none for C-bodies as such.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has done a Restomod on a 1969 Chrysler 300? What modern engines and transmissions are compatible with this vehicle? I believe reading somewhere that the modern hemi’s work. I could not find any threads on the forum of anyone detailing the process. I wish I did not have to go this route but I bought the car under the assumption that it had a good running engine and transmission, everything seems fine until after the transaction was completed (the car died on the way home).
There is a few threads about doing the conversion, just have to search. Try "hemi" as a search word.

Its a lot of work, mounts for the engine and trans have to be fabricated and welded into place, you need to fabricate an exhaust system, get the electronics to work etc. Not a job for the faint of heart and its going be expensive to have someone else do it.

The question that needs to be asked is what happened to the engine and trans in the car? Old cars have their issues, but really you have to work at doing a lot of damage to a 440 and a 727 transmission. Even replacing or rebuilding both will be much easier than a conversion.

"The car died on the way home" is pretty vague. Tell us what happened and maybe we can help from there

Hello Everyone,
WELCOME!
What engine is in your 1969 300? 440?
What happened when it died?
What noises did you notice?
Can you turn the crank using the harmonic balancer bolt?
Does the distributor rotor move while you turn the crank?
IMPORTANT: these cars had nylon plastic teeth on the cam sprocket. If those go, the engine will turn over easily, but not start or fire, because the camshaft is not moving. Crank turning and distributor rotor not turning will tell you that the timing chain is the problem.
You can replace timing chain and sprockets and clean the oil pan and pickup out, with the engine in the car. And save original engine and $. Ben

I hope you can make your 300 all you want it to be, this forum can't take all the credit, but when I started here, my Newport was a winter car, riding on chrome wheels, just as my profile pic, then it became a summer car (I fell in love), with different chrome wheels and 4 275/60/15, that looked badass but gave way to 225/75/15 whitewalls on the original wheels, ran them bare for a year or so, now running the wheel covers, just saying, these cars were pretty well put together the way they were built

Back