Retreating From the Garden State Seems Widespread

General Discussion

1. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

$$$$$$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JC68vert300

JC68vert300 Well-Known Member

I must add to the complaints of NJ. Both of us HAVE to work. In northern most part of Bergen County , NJ, my car insurance for 5 cars was over $8 grand and the Chrysler is on Hagerty. So I just sold my ‘12 Durango R/T and I think I will have to sell the Corvette when spring rolls around. My property of under 1/4 of an acre....taxes were $1900 in 1991, I just broke $16,000. Who the f**k is gonna buy it? Stayed too long because of family.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  3. saforwardlook

saforwardlook Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Hearing about property taxes and car insurance rates, my reaction is that the rates in NJ are insane! The house I live in in Southern California is an old farm house built in 1929 and currently worth $580K (1800 sq. ft. and 1/2 acre) and the property taxes are $4429 per year. My rental house next door is worth $430K (800 sq. ft and 1/2 acre) and its property taxes are $3600. The three cars I drive routinely cost me 1700/yr to insure (no points) and I am 72 now. What the heck does NJ do with all the money they collect?

And what really blows my mind is a population density 5 times worse than California!!!

And harsh winters on top of it all...............

This thread has been very informative for me, and really clarifies the disgruntlement of NJ residents. Wow!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. live4theking

live4theking Old Man with a Hat

Ouch, that hurts.
    Six years ago we purchased our house for $150k, our taxes are $1800 for a 1950 home with about 2000 sq ft and 19.5 acres.
    We have 3 cars all older and a motorcycle, it's gotta be less than $1500 a year.

The challenge here is jobs. I've been blessed to be well employed for over a decade now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Shhhhhh......
    I think I’m staying right here in the Wolverine State. May move north a bit closer to the slopes and lakes now that I’ve retired though. Cost of living and retiree taxes compare favorably to many of the snowbird magnet states. No wildfires, mudslides, hurricanes just a mild quake or tornado every decade or so. Each of the seasons last just long enough to look forward to the next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

Screenshot_20200104_100515.jpg

I'm good. :)

The irony of my life, up to around the year 2000, I always thought I was going to live out the rest of my life in a cozy cabin, overlooking a lake, in remote Northern New England.
    All my life.
    WhereTF did I end up. In a modern house overlooking the water Hazzard of the 3rd hole in a Golf Community... :realcrazy:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  7. cm23uoc

cm23uoc Old Man with a Hat

That Ak Island looks interesting. :D

• Like Like x 3
  8. commando1

:rofl:

9. azblackhemi

azblackhemi Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

And the weather must be very warm considering it's located south of the mainland US. :lol:

• Like Like x 5
  10. polara71

polara71 Old Man with a Hat

I ask myself similar questions thinking this was my forever home for the first 22 years i lived here. Figured I'd have several old cars and stuck in NJ. Then I went West In 2016 and I was a changed man. My 2017 visit I came back with a plan. The plan has changed, evolved and changed again but it's happening. Time to make the final leap....

• Like Like x 8
  11. commando1

But I got my "cabin" ...
    :rofl:

:icon_fU:HOA

• Like Like x 3
  12. azblackhemi

No offense to anyone who lives back East, If you're happy there that's great. I spent my first 23 years in NY and my last 40 in AZ. To me the west wins hands down. It's just a different feeling out here. Less of a rat race and more of a laid back atmosphere. And did I mention an abundance of cars with no rust? :poke:I will say though that if I moved out west today it would be to a more rural area than Phoenix. The growth here over 40 years has been crazy. All our kids and grandkids live within 10 minutes of us so we won't be going anywhere anytime soon but there are some areas in Northern AZ that I have my eye on.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. polara71

Yes, you did.... nice too!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Dsertdog

Dsertdog Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note. FCBO Gold Member

I understand not to be political but...

When you move South and I mean SOUTH of the Mason Dixon if that's your goal...

Leave your "blue" behind.

Assimilating, other than places like Austin or Atlanta, will be a problem if you freak at the sight of someone carrying a firearm, seeing the Virginia Battle flag next to the Stars and Stripes, or constantly ask "why the government isn't doing something about...". If you grimace at words like "Clinger" or "Deplorable" you probably won't assimilate.
    Racism is dying, because everyone is working just as hard or just as broke, so we're all the same. While I still can't stomach rednecks, I have total respect for folks who can field dress game, patch a wound, and tell you the type of wood you have on your rack by touch and smell.

Being self sufficient is a way of life down here, when I moved into town, I was told to buy a generator and chain saw, and that first winter. I did! Tornadoes, Hurricanes, softball sized hail, and ice are all problems and sometimes in the same week!
    Snow isn't plowed, ice is over-salted and roads usually suck.

And if you bitch too much, the natives will tell you to leave.

Other than that, It's better then the Nawth. D***m Yankees!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. bluefury361

bluefury361 Old Man with a Hat

[QUOTE="75LandYacht, The one in Gulfshore Ala bought in 1977, don’t remember what taxes were way back when, now $1,100 per yr and it’s a Beach house on the water.. I understand population and infrastructures are different between each zip codes. But!!![/QUOTE]

John. Please quit spreading the news about Bama.....LOL. And when are you coming back?

• Like Like x 2
  16. 1978 NYB

1978 NYB Warfighter FCBO Gold Member

I would find a place in Payson.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeahrightgreer

Yeahrightgreer Senior Member

I’ve been out to California a few times and I must say - geographically it’s my dream place. Specifically I’m talking about NoCal. Bridgeport, Yosemite National Park, Redding etc. I would love to have a small cabin or a home in a small town and drive my old Chrysler’s through long winding mountain roads. The weather is amazing, it snows which I love but they don’t use salt which is even better. Can drive the cars all year round. The air is dry and the sights are beautiful. But I tell people all the time, I personally couldn’t deal with the California government and people there.

8DFAD8EB-34E5-40EB-B5DE-EFD27AFB9ED4.jpeg

82C55AAA-5C72-48F3-8448-585E9C7AFD9C.jpeg

788DB5AD-3DC4-4A9A-92BE-EE14640910E8.jpeg

D59801CD-2E6E-4E0D-8B60-6009F7279A66.jpeg

Taxes and cost of living wise - I’m from Connecticut so it’s not like the idea of a high cost of living is foreign to me. But the California mentality in regards to public matters whether politics, guns, cars, the environment, and so on specifically in the large cities of San Fransisco, the outlying counties of Los Angeles and other major metropolitan areas makes the idea of living there sound like a hassle. My personal problem is it seems California often wants to play the devils advocate, and often simply makes decisions or choices just so they can be the only state out of the 49 to do it or the be “different”. Nevertheless I do appreciate their log heritage of wanting cleaner air and cleaner environments stretching back even since the 70s, passing bills and laws long before many of the other states have.

Lately I’ve been looking into Washington State, possibly Port Angeles area or somewhere outside of Seattle. Seems like a good deal.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. azblackhemi

Payson is nice but I'd go a bit farther up on the rim to Show Low and Pinetop. You're up to 6-7 thousand feet up there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. rags

rags Senior Member

20. polara71

Our new to us place is at 5000 ft elevation. In Jersey I'm at about 60 ft. My body feels much better at the higher elevations. No body aches and I can breath much better ..Have I mentioned how much I hate it here ?