RetroSound Radio

My personal experience with their speakers has been abysmal with two different speakers failing.

I have one in my Sport Satellite. I has a plastic feel (becouse it is) but has worked so far without issues. Would buy again :thumbsup:

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

No experience on the speakers like John said.
But I do have one of their stereos in my 67 Satellite. A bit pricey but worth every cent. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Has Bluetooth, USB, Aux connection's. Matches the factory look as well. I absolutely hate the look of a 90s style stereo in a classic Mopar.

It also has an abundance of settings to tune and equalize your music exactly how you like it, which for an audiophile like me, is perfect.

I Have it hooked up to a 600W and 900W Amplifier in the trunk.
One running 2 4-inch Infinity’s in the front. 2 6x9 in the back. The other for a single 12” sub.
The head unit itself has some decent ratings IIRC to run by itself so no need for an amp if you don’t need anything crazy

Suggestion, don’t buy from their website. I bought mine from Summit Racing and saved over $100 IIRC.

Oké, that's clear..:rolleyes:

I know it's nót state of the art regarding to perfect stereo,clear sound, decent bass and high quality.
I just want a nice sound with a classic look..
Send your radio to Gary Tayman for conversion.
Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

I've done two radios this way and I'm very happy with the results. Others here. have done the same and are also happy.

I put a Retrosound Redondo in one of my '66 Chryslers. I was able to use the factory radio knobs and it looks completely stock when it's turned off. I also bought a USB and AUX extender from Amazon and routed the wires into my center console so they are hidden. I'm very pleased with it.

I bought mine from Amazon, which was a lot cheaper than ordering from Retrosound's website. According to the bill, the model number of mine was "RED-S-282-12-82". RED stands for Redondo model. I think the "S" means shafts, as opposed to the thumbwheel controls which are also available. The 282 I believe is the model with chrome buttons. The buttons may be chrome or black. For an original look I wanted the chrome ones. The last two numbers indicate the knobs that it comes with, which you don't care about if you reuse your original knobs.

Last edited:
I found some pictures of my installation. Retrosound sells some screen protectors with a fake analog dial printed on them to make the radio look even more convincingly original.

PHOTO_20181004_003454.jpg
PHOTO_20181004_003625.jpg

Here you can see the AUX and USB hidden inside my console.
PHOTO_20190814_232930.jpg

Hi,

Is there anybody here ever installed a stereo from RetroSound ?
I'm thinking of getting one for my Newport.
Just curious..

Here's a link: RetroSound Radios
Hi,

Is there anybody here ever installed a stereo from RetroSound ?
I'm thinking of getting one for my Newport.
Just curious..

Here's a link: RetroSound Radios
what year is your newport? my 67 has a convex dash- not flat across. the retro sound unit that fits in the Dodge did not work/fit in the space.
i went to garytayman.com, sent him the original radio and he digitalized it. works great, has am-fm Blue tooth etc. it's the right way to go if you dont have a flat dash.
IMG_20190705_1446416.jpg

what year is your newport? my 67 has a convex dash- not flat across. the retro sound unit that fits in the Dodge did not work/fit in the space.
i went to garytayman.com, sent him the original radio and he digitalized it. works great, has am-fm Blue tooth etc. it's the right way to go if you dont have a flat dash.View attachment 500013
Someone else I was talking to on a C-body FB group said that they got a Redondo to fit in their 67 or 68 Chrysler. They didn't provide any details, but you'd need to use the chrome bezel from the tuner face of your original radio.

dont know what to say. i installed the retro like they said and face and tuning wheels were back behind my original facia plate. the original after Taymon converted it worked like a charm. the picture is exactly what i have.

had 2 of there units fail. one still in my mustang kinda works but no display

We have a distributor of RetroSound here in the Netherlands so that's no problem.
This is the, not working, stock radio:
100_3061.JPG

And this is the hole to fit the new radio:
100_3085.JPG

It will be a puzzle to find the right bezel for it. I want to use the knobs of the old radio.

View attachment 500113

Send your radio to Gary Tayman for conversion.
Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

I've done two radios this way and I'm very happy with the results. Others here. have done the same and are also happy.

Do you know offhand, John, whether they can repair the search tune feature so that works like it did originally in Tayman's conversions to stereo such that it actually works like it did originally (Chrysler radios with this feature were actually supplied by AC Delco)? As I understand matters regarding those radios, it seems getting the original search tune function to work properly is a problem (that radio is shown in post #17 above). Or said another way, are they pretty good at repairing and preserving the original operational controls?

Do you know offhand, John, whether they can repair the search tune feature so that works like it did originally in Tayman's conversions to stereo such that it actually works like it did originally (Chrysler radios with this feature were actually supplied by AC Delco)? As I understand matters regarding those radios, it seems getting the original search tune function to work properly is a problem (that radio is shown in post #17 above). Or said another way, are they pretty good at repairing and preserving the original operational controls?
To my knowledge, the companies that do radio updates are using electronics made by Aurora Design. Tayman Electrical is on their dealer list. (I looked into trying to buy some of their components to do my own radio conversion, but they'll only sell to their approved installers.) Support for the auto-tune functionality would be dependent on that being supported by the new electronics. The blurb for their FMR-3.0 AM/FM tuner says that feature is supported. May also require the FMR-MC1 motor controller.

Radio conversions for classic vehicles | Aurora Design

The search tune in my converted radio works exactly as it did when it had the OE Delco guts in it.

When you are all done, the controls work like they should, but to access the other features, (like channel balance) you have to do things like twist the volume to the left or right quickly.

This video shows how it all works. In fact, it's a GM Wonderbar radio, which I understand is the basis for our signal seeking radio.

I really suggest doing at least auxiliary input. I use my XM radio with it, along with a thumb drive full of music that plugs into a short cable. I have pre-amp outputs too.

Back