Reverse light switch.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1968 Plymouth fury iii reverse light switch that mounts at the base of the drive shaft near the fire wall any help would be appreciated.

I've exhausted my options when it comes to the parts houses... If it was a standard it wouldn't be a problem but because it's an automatic.... Went to five different parts houses and everyone said that they are no longer being produced found one similar different mounting bracket but the same switch from what I've noticed

Last edited:
I may have led you astray, on the 727 automatic there is a switch that screws into the transmission. On some cars it has a dual purpose, as a neutral switch to allow engine starting and as a reverse gear indicator to turn on the backup lights. Is this what you are looking for?

This is no longer a switch issue and now becoming more of a fabrication issue as the finger that comes off of the steering column is missing the switch seems to be functioning fine now that the contacts have been cleaned ... Thoughts??

I may have led you astray, on the 727 automatic there is a switch that screws into the transmission. On some cars it has a dual purpose, as a neutral switch to allow engine starting and as a reverse gear indicator to turn on the backup lights. Is this what you are looking for?
1969 and later used that switch as a neutral safety switch and reverse lights. 1968 and older just used it as a neutral safety switch.

Screenshot_20171022-102027.png

1969 and later used that switch as a neutral safety switch and reverse lights. 1968 and older just used it as a neutral safety switch.
What would happen if a '69 or later dual switch was used to replace the single '68 switch and the extra contact wired back to the steering column?

What would happen if a '69 or later dual switch was used to replace the single '68 switch and the extra contact wired back to the steering column?

To use a 3 prong neutral/ backup light switch in a early tans ,a few internal parts need to be switched. It is not as simple as just changing the switches

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, and the interwebs is full of them, I found a good pic of the different levers.

55-64 on left, 64-68 in center, 69 and later on right.
It's my understanding that 64 cars w/console use the center switch.

nssw03.jpg

69 and up valve body, lever in upper left corner.
222520889427_1.jpg.jpg

Interesting, I never realized there are small but significant differences in 727's from year to year. Swappers beware!

Interesting, I never realized there are small but significant differences in 727's from year to year. Swappers beware!

You BET! I've researched that very issue ad nauseum recently, finally taking the advice of the tranny mechanic who will rebuild mine next week. Swapping is NOT often a turn-key operation. Torque converters, valve bodies, linkage, input/output shafts do change a bit with time. I'm sticking with the '66 tranny as my ride is a 66 model and this is the path of least complexity. Later years ARE more swap friendly than 1966, which was a transition year from old to new, and the 66 727 and 904s are uniquely set up with some old, some new features. I'll save my 77 727 for the 400 its bolted to, unless I obtain a miraculous 440 of the same vintage.....

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, and the interwebs is full of them, I found a good pic of the different levers.

55-64 on left, 64-68 in center, 69 and later on right.
It's my understanding that 64 cars w/console use the center switch.

View attachment 148503

69 and up valve body, lever in upper left corner.
222520889427_1.jpg.jpg
Do you have the part number for the middle operating lever? Mine seems to be missing, the switch works but no lever there to engage the nipple on the switch

For ‘68. Pin, steering column gearshift tube switch w/ auto trans. Column shift
2883211 all Chrysler Plymouth Dodge except imperial.
One would think these would be a dime a dozen.
Called operating lever (not to be confused with gearshift indicator operating lever)in Service Manual. One time use. If the column is taken apart this needs to be replaced. I believe it is a different set up in ‘65. I don’t have that manual.

‘68 lever before the pin is pushed in to secure it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Confirmed P/N for ‘68
from a dealer in 2007 $2.00 Each.

image.jpg

Yeah I have the 65 plymouth manual and i have the AP1 AP2 model on my fury and this is the type of lever it uses

20200606_103833.jpg

Back