Reverse Lights

5fty7vn

Reaction score
I have a '66 Newport that when I put it in reverse the reverse light won't come on unless the shifter is over the "K" in Park. Any ideas on how this can be adjust so the lights come on when the shifter is over the "R"? I was told I could make an adjustment under the dash, on the steering column.........just look for 2 screws and then adjust the "bracket" as needed. This is all I could find on the column..............the firewall is at the bottom of the of the photo.

20180123_115238.jpg

20180123_121644.jpg

The holes mounting the switch to the column are elongated allowing adjustment.

Put a mirror behind your car so you can see the reverse lights while working under the dash, turn the key on (motor OFF!!), parking brake on or wheel chocked, and put the car in reverse where it feels right, then loosen the mounting bolts and adjust the position of the switch until the lights come on, tighten it back up and you're good to go.

The holes mounting the switch to the column are elongated allowing adjustment.

Put a mirror behind your car so you can see the reverse lights while working under the dash, turn the key on (motor OFF!!), parking brake on or wheel chocked, and put the car in reverse where it feels right, then loosen the mounting bolts and adjust the position of the switch until the lights come on, tighten it back up and you're good to go.

I also noticed there is a third bolt on the top of the steering column that may be securing another set of wires (see the cluster of wires behind the purple wire). Does that have anything to do with the adjustment or does it need to be loosened to move that bracket?

Got it.....................this is where it sits now when the reverse lights come on. Thanks guys for your help.............now, why can't cars these days be so simple to fix????
20180124_131609_001.jpg

Back