revisit Carb issue

Marian

Reaction score
A while back I mentioned that I was told the carb. was to far gone. Some members said almost all carbs can be rebuilt. When we were at the shop yesterday, I decided to bring the carb home. Here are some pics. Is it to far gone from what ya'll can see. If not...what should be my first step?
20140301_171914.jpg20140301_171933.jpg20140301_172001.jpg20140301_172106.jpg20140301_172133.jpg

20140301_171914.jpg

20140301_171933.jpg

20140301_172001.jpg

20140301_172106.jpg

20140301_172133.jpg

If it was me, I would spray the heck out of it with penetrating spray, especially around the screws. Do that for a few days and then try and unscrew them. Maybe soak the whole thing in a bucket. I wouldn't buy a kit until you find out if it is usable.

Well that carb is a mess that's for sure, i bet the butterflies are frozen in place too. It is beyond the average garage tinkerer to get this unit again. A professional carb rebuilder would disassemble it and dip the body to remove all corrosion and get those butterfly shafts out, they would probably need sleeving.
Here's the thing, its probably far more expensive to rebuild that carb than to find another one same model in reasonable condition and put a kit through it.

Do the throttle shafts still turn if so there might be hope also a bottle of navel jelly. You can brush it on wait a little while hose it off and see if there is any deep pitting damage. If throttles don't turn gets more difficult as shaft bores may get larger working rust out against aluminum that create vacuum leaks shafts need bushed on and on.

Marion: Put 1 gallon of vinegar and one qt. of concentrated lemon juice into a a container just barely larger than the carb. Let it soak for a couple of days. It will come out like new.

Marion: Put 1 gallon of vinegar and one qt. of concentrated lemon juice into a a container just barely larger than the carb. Let it soak for a couple of days. It will come out like new.

Please try that, and show pictures when done, I would really like to see if that works!!!!

Did you yourself ever tried this? As far as I know, my carb looks pretty similar. I would try that as well if it works!

I'll try it. What could it hurt.

Please let us know what's the result and show us some pictures please!

I'm gonna start the soaking project today per Stan's advice. I would have gotten to it earlier but got a stomach bug. I do have a question. Do I need to remove what looks to be like a diaphragm with a hose connected before soaking?
carbquestion.jpg

carbquestion.jpg

Last edited:
The vacuum diaphragm is prob dried out and needing replacing anyway. You could pull it........... But I don't think you would hurt it anymore by letting it soak.

now I know how to make all carbs like new using only houshold chemicals. thank you, o wise one!

Back