Riding Lawn Tractor Recs?

To better see what's going on with the oil use issue, you might get a borescope (aka "CritterCam" on some Bulbhead infomercials, but available other places, too.) and see what's inside the spark plug hole. If the edge of piston is washed clean, then it's the (oil scraper) rings, either worn or stuck.

As for the price of a replacement engine, you might put that large amount of money toward a new mower and be done with it. Sell the old one for a bit of money, too? Or donate it to the local mechanical vo-tech school program.

As for JD, the less expensive/lower margin lawn tractors are at the big box stores, as the more expensive models at at the genuine JD lawn/garden tractor dealers. Just determine what your needs are and spend accordingly. Sometimes, getting that more powerful V-twin engine can be expensive, just for a few more horses, by observation.

Band-Aid the current one as long as you can, while you shop for a new one.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Hi Willis
I've been band aiding it for years. I had the head off in 2011 and scraped a lot of oil off the top of the piston and bottom of the cylinder head. Head gasket was mostly OK except for a blackened area near the valves. I replaced head gasket. This motor has been low quality from the beginning.

The pully off of the old engine should be reused with the new engine. That should set it where it needs to be.

If you decide to go with buying a unit from a dealer, whether that's JD, Kubota, Ferris (I've heard good things), I recommend considering local to you dealer support. It's not critical but when you brake a belt 1/2 way through mowing it's nice to be able to run to a local store, get your part and finish the job in the same day.
Wouldn't the motor mounts have to be in same place on the frame for the pulley to set up correctly?

When I was looking at JD lawn tractors a few years ago, a former employee of ours came back to work for us. He had been working for JD in CA. I asked about the JDs sold at Lowes (and similar), compared to the ones sold at tne new JD dealership near where we were. He said that regardless of where the items were sold, all of the sales went through the local dealership.

Obviously, the big box stores are geared more towaard price and volume than the local factory-franchised outlet is. Just the nature of that game. Which is why THEIR selections don't include anything higher than a certain price point, certainly lower than the zero turns! There are lots of JD stores in the north TX region. Many are owned by about two dealer groups, it seems.

It would not surprise me if, when the basic chassis is stripped out of the exterior items, most are pretty much the same, as they all tend to mention how strong they are. Just as with name-brand computers, these items are "an assemblage of vendor parts to reach a particulatr price point" for their intended market demographic. Which means you shop for an engine and then hope the hydrostatic drive mechanism is equally as good.

One interesting thing on one of the Cub Cadet models is electronic fuel injection (by Walbro, I believe). Touting something like 20% better fuel economy, but on that particular model, they only mention engine size, not horsepower (in the 20 horsepower size class). Plus it's a few hundred dollars more money, as if it's a premium product.

Shopping for a used lawn tractor, usually with a mower deck on it, can be simiolar to shopping for a used car 20 years ago. Low hours, well-maintained, looks good, etc.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Briggs and Stratton 16.5HP OHV

Model 313777 Type 0163E1
In addition to burning plenty of oil:

It's also got a broke front left motor mount. Motor shakes loose on the deck every once and a while. It's got 3 other mount bolts, which I have tightened or replaced more than once over the last 5 years.

I have tried valve adjustment, but it builds too much cylinder pressure. I have run out of adjustment without leaving the exhaust valve partially open. If I shut it off hot, it won't restart for 30 minutes.

It used to like to break intake push rods, but I fixed that by installing an exhaust push rod for the intake valve. They are same length. Seems the exhaust rods were made of steel, but the intake with aluminum? Or some cheap pot metal?

Needs a helicoil to keep the exhaust pipe from falling off and burning the spark plug wire below it. Pipe is held on by 1 bolt instead of 2. Have to regularly check bolt tightness

MTD built the tractor for Statesman brand. MTD Model 678. All the safety stuff developed shorts, resulting in no starts. Electric fuel pump wire runs under the engine from right to left. It's vulnerable too. I essentially rewired the tractor to get rid of the safety features and shorts. It has toggle switches for fuel and ignition with push button starter now.

Mowing deck hits pulley when raised out of mowing position while moving. Makes sparks.

Just getting tired of the tractor. It's like a Chrysler Concorde I had. It would run and keep going as long as I kept fixing things. Finally, I got sick of the car and junked it around 190000 miles. The mower is the same way. Further, I'm afraid it I buy another B&S that fits the deck, I'll end up with the same problems.

View attachment 419319
View attachment 419320
I think all their conversion stuff is not too great. The 11-13 hp single flatheads would literally run forever. I thought about the chassis after I said rebuild. If the tractor has problems and the engine is a problem, I think your done.
I have had no problems with small MTD tractors, but putting a 42 inch 2 blade deck on a small tractor with no clutch for deck is a recipe for disaster. I have a MTD with that combo, 1/2" deck belt, spring engagement, the idler, and belt take a beating in higher grass. The Kohler single on it seems okay, spin on pressure filter good power. I have seen older versions of these shear woodruff keys on flywheel. Twins are nice for smoother power. I vote for 3 blade deck they just seem to work better, not to mention bigger.

Repackage a mower that isn’t the same as what JD sells at their stores. Are you implying that JD uses lesser components or a less durable design on a mower sold at Big Box stores?
I have purchased blades and belts for my JD mower at the local JD dealership and I originally bought it at a big box store. The model number is the same.

I have to strongly disagree with you. Years ago John Deere made a lesser quality line of mowers etc. for the big box stores under the Sabre name and they were painted a different shade of green. The big box stores wanted the JD name on those products so that they would sell better so the Sabre brand went away and were chananged to JD's. As pointed out in another post, the models offered at the big box store are not offered at a JD dealer and the engines used are usually Briggs.

My 2001 Statesman (Southern States brand) Briggs & Stratton, 42-inch deck, has a lot of hours and burns oil as well as oiling the spark plug. Still runs and does it's job, but thinking of replace. Any brand recommendations, need 42-46 inch deck? Briggs & Stratton versus Kohler? Thanks, Ben
How much grass are you cutting and how deep are your pockets? I have a reason for asking, Jer

I had a 22Hp Kohler 46" Craftsman Garden Tractor for 19 years. 1.5 acres. I took care of it and it served me well. Engine was fine but was about to need all the moderately more difficult to replace parts (spindles , steering gears, tires). Not a problem but I figured I was hopefully going to need only 1 more mower for this house so I was going to treat myself to an upgrade. I like cutting the grass but the +1hr time was starting bother me as it required planning around it. For example after daylight savings I really had to mow only on the weekends. Neighbor had a zero turn and looked into it. And now I'm sold. I cut my time in half with 60" US made Ariens Apex model (s/a Gravely). I used the big box stores for what they do well which is mostly pricing. Plus, a 10% off coupon makes a big difference. Got it online as they rarely have the more expensive models at the store. Also I wanted a wear part (bushing) and went to my local lawn mower repair business expecting to be laughed at. He said because some brands like JD and Ariens are sold at the big box stores the parts are more in demand so he had what I needed and another part took a week. And not at dealer pricing. Also the BB stores websites now sell some parts. So if you have a 3K budget, my suggestion to you is to try an Arians Ikon model and go bigger like 52". They have mulching kits. And btw all the Ariens models except the Zoom are the same as at the dealers. And for the most part have a twin Gravely model just painted in red and more expensive. You can use either to read reviews.

Wouldn't the motor mounts have to be in same place on the frame for the pulley to set up correctly?

Generally the "mounts" are just ears/part of the crank case, which just bolts to the frame. If it doesn't line up perfectly, just center the engine where it needs to be and drill new holes.

Wow! You got a deal. How many hours do you think is too many?
I myself look at the condition of the mower and how the mower runs vs. the hour meter. Again he had all the paper work from the purchase of the mower at the John Deere dealer to when it was last in for service. It looked like a brand new unit and I could see wax build up caught by the gasket around the lights. They are out there just as there are the vehicles we like that are out there. I would look at Craigslist, your local news paper in different sections such as moving and looking to sell and I would also mention to your friends as they might hear or know of someone looking to move their mower.

I had a 22Hp Kohler 46" Craftsman Garden Tractor for 19 years. 1.5 acres. I took care of it and it served me well. Engine was fine but was about to need all the moderately more difficult to replace parts (spindles , steering gears, tires). Not a problem but I figured I was hopefully going to need only 1 more mower for this house so I was going to treat myself to an upgrade. I like cutting the grass but the +1hr time was starting bother me as it required planning around it. For example after daylight savings I really had to mow only on the weekends. Neighbor had a zero turn and looked into it. And now I'm sold. I cut my time in half with 60" US made Ariens Apex model (s/a Gravely). I used the big box stores for what they do well which is mostly pricing. Plus, a 10% off coupon makes a big difference. Got it online as they rarely have the more expensive models at the store. Also I wanted a wear part (bushing) and went to my local lawn mower repair business expecting to be laughed at. He said because some brands like JD and Ariens are sold at the big box stores the parts are more in demand so he had what I needed and another part took a week. And not at dealer pricing. Also the BB stores websites now sell some parts. So if you have a 3K budget, my suggestion to you is to try an Arians Ikon model and go bigger like 52". They have mulching kits. And btw all the Ariens models except the Zoom are the same as at the dealers. And for the most part have a twin Gravely model just painted in red and more expensive. You can use either to read reviews.
After mowing my grass (about 8 acres) I would never go back to a tractor lawn mower again as the zero turn units are quicker. And since my grass is not flat and smooth I wanted something with a suspension and at the time I made my purchase Ferris was the only unit that has a chassis suspension system and not just a seat suspension which made a big difference in how I feel after finishing the job.

Yes, to a degree. Lowes sells a price-point product. Look at the "E" series machines sold at lowes, then try to find the "E" series listed on John Deere's web site. JD sells an "S" series. What are the actual differences? IDK but there is a difference with the "E" series being the lesser of the two.
Yes, many companies do this, dewalt comes to mind. Home depot drills etc have cheaper components to keep price low

Briggs and Stratton 16.5HP OHV

Model 313777 Type 0163E1
In addition to burning plenty of oil:

It's also got a broke front left motor mount. Motor shakes loose on the deck every once and a while. It's got 3 other mount bolts, which I have tightened or replaced more than once over the last 5 years.

I have tried valve adjustment, but it builds too much cylinder pressure. I have run out of adjustment without leaving the exhaust valve partially open. If I shut it off hot, it won't restart for 30 minutes.

It used to like to break intake push rods, but I fixed that by installing an exhaust push rod for the intake valve. They are same length. Seems the exhaust rods were made of steel, but the intake with aluminum? Or some cheap pot metal?

Needs a helicoil to keep the exhaust pipe from falling off and burning the spark plug wire below it. Pipe is held on by 1 bolt instead of 2. Have to regularly check bolt tightness

MTD built the tractor for Statesman brand. MTD Model 678. All the safety stuff developed shorts, resulting in no starts. Electric fuel pump wire runs under the engine from right to left. It's vulnerable too. I essentially rewired the tractor to get rid of the safety features and shorts. It has toggle switches for fuel and ignition with push button starter now.

Mowing deck hits pulley when raised out of mowing position while moving. Makes sparks.

Just getting tired of the tractor. It's like a Chrysler Concorde I had. It would run and keep going as long as I kept fixing things. Finally, I got sick of the car and junked it around 190000 miles. The mower is the same way. Further, I'm afraid it I buy another B&S that fits the deck, I'll end up with the same problems.

View attachment 419319
View attachment 419320
never mind :D
my brother mows commercially and has had good luck with hustler mowers. he has a sit down and a stand up.
Zero-Turn Riding Lawn Mowers | Hustler Turf

ABOUT AN ACRE. $3000
Go on line and look for a TORO Dealer within striking Distance. They bought X-MARK some years back and still sell them but don't advertise it. Look for a trade in from a commercial user that has a used up Kohler 24 HP and will sell it cheap. Replace the engine and maybe the belts and boggy wheels on the mower deck and you'll still be riding it when you're too old to steer it. I bought a 60" X-MARK out of a bankruptcy auction with a 140 hours on it on '04 For $3500 and when I sold that place(on 3 acres) in '14 I'd added just over 110 hours. A Neighbor of mine 'bout a block away was in the lawn care business put a bit over 9000 hours on his 60" X-MARK before he traded it for a 72". Mower decks on the X-MARKS are 3/8" steel plate welded together and they'll never rust out. Oh, When I sold that place '14 and the ultimate buyer saw that ZTR in my 10X12 mower shed he tried to make that part of the selling price of the home, lol. It stayed there but I got my selling price for the home too and Pedro mows me in my new place W/ 1/4 acre, Jer

Last edited:
I'm just going to say, and muddy the water, if I was in the market for a mower, a cub with a gang-reel set up would be in the top 3 line up for me. I love the simplicity, reliability and versatility of an old Farmall. :D
And it would be within your budget.

upload_2020-12-2_9-49-13.png
upload_2020-12-2_9-49-40.png

When I sold that place '14 and the ultimate buyer saw that ZTR in my 10X12 mower shed he tried to make that part of the selling price of the home, lol. It stayed there but I got my selling price for the home too and Pedro mows me in my new place W/ 1/4 acre, Jer
That is so cool that you traded the X-mark mower for 6 years of free lawn care. Must be rough maintaining your c-bodies on 1/4 acre. Did you have to sell off a bunch of cars and parts? Maybe you have Stan's battles with HOA, but over cars in the yard.

When we bought our home in 2000, My wife said, "We're looking for a garage with a house attached." No cars in the yard, but lots of room for garage and carport expansion. In my defense, there was also forest and lots of room for kids to play and invite over other kids to play. As to rural living, I've learned to hate deer. They're lyme disease and alpha-gal tick-carrying, shrub-eating pests, overpopulated by lack of predators and stupid hunting rules. Other than that, the room to do what I want is great. We kill the ticks with a lot of spraying. Also, good to have a dog to dig up, eat, and kill voles because they and mice carry nymph ticks.

I'm just going to say, and muddy the water, if I was in the market for a mower, a cub with a gang-reel set up would be in the top 3 line up for me. I love the simplicity, reliability and versatility of an old Farmall. :D
And it would be within your budget.

View attachment 419896View attachment 419897
Hmmmm. Think I need a bit more maneuverability. :lol:

Back