Rim blow switch

7071 chally

Reaction score
Hi

Anybody know where we can purchase a rim blow switch for that steering wheel? (1972 New Yorker, tilt steering column)

Thanks

Gilles Côté-7.jpg

The actual switch might be fine. CHECK the horn relay FIRST! IF you find it is cooked, and smells so, then the switch has shorted out. AND you could well find that the horn honking by itself when the temp gets over 80 degrees of so has done that. PLUS, it can also heat the spring in the turn signal switch enough to weaken it, too, which means a new turn signal switch is needed. That's what I went through with my '70 Monaco Brougham with the factory rim-blow switch.

The Chrysler rim blow switch was quite hard when compared to the very soft/squishy Ford rim blow switch. GM's was somewhere in between.

I asked the local service manager about the switch after I got the car in '75. He stated that to change the switch, which they had done a few of, you have to first remove the old switch. That probably means destroying it and getting out the back layer of it from the grooves it seats into on the wheel. Then, he said, you use soapy water as a lube and feed the new switch back into the grooves in the steering wheel. ALL the way around. Sounded like a tedious and time-consuming labor operation!

Therefore, do the other checks/replacements BEFORE you undertake the steering wheel rim blow switch replacement. Even if you might find a new one somewhere, it could be age-hardened and hard to install. Meaning that getting it in and working reliably, without damaging it, might be "a trick"!

The car looks very nice and keeping it nice and original should be a priority. But I think I'd seek out a non-rim blow wheel to put in its place. Keeping the original wheel for good measure.

Those were my experiences with my '70 Monaco Brougham and its' rim blow steering wheel circa 1975. I still have the car. Being it's a Dodge, I've been considering one of the repro Tuff WHeels, but that might not look too good in a luxury Chrysler.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The actual switch might be fine. CHECK the horn relay FIRST! IF you find it is cooked, and smells so, then the switch has shorted out. AND you could well find that the horn honking by itself when the temp gets over 80 degrees of so has done that. PLUS, it can also heat the spring in the turn signal switch enough to weaken it, too, which means a new turn signal switch is needed. That's what I went through with my '70 Monaco Brougham with the factory rim-blow switch.

The Chrysler rim blow switch was quite hard when compared to the very soft/squishy Ford rim blow switch. GM's was somewhere in between.

I asked the local service manager about the switch after I got the car in '75. He stated that to change the switch, which they had done a few of, you have to first remove the old switch. That probably means destroying it and getting out the back layer of it from the grooves it seats into on the wheel. Then, he said, you use soapy water as a lube and feed the new switch back into the grooves in the steering wheel. ALL the way around. Sounded like a tedious and time-consuming labor operation!

Therefore, do the other checks/replacements BEFORE you undertake the steering wheel rim blow switch replacement. Even if you might find a new one somewhere, it could be age-hardened and hard to install. Meaning that getting it in and working reliably, without damaging it, might be "a trick"!

The car looks very nice and keeping it nice and original should be a priority. But I think I'd seek out a non-rim blow wheel to put in its place. Keeping the original wheel for good measure.

Those were my experiences with my '70 Monaco Brougham and its' rim blow steering wheel circa 1975. I still have the car. Being it's a Dodge, I've been considering one of the repro Tuff WHeels, but that might not look too good in a luxury Chrysler.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I replaced a few switches for the 3 spoke rimblow wheels that you can find in B and E body cars, (see pic below), so I know what the job is. I know you can buy repop switches for the 3 spoke wheel, but I also know that the switch is different for those 2 spoke wheels. And the switch is RELAY dried out, hard as a rock and I also sent a ground to the relay and the horns sounded, so, the switch is bad. Was just wondering where I can purchase one...

Rim blow Serge Côté-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, Graham aka dobalovr agrees, he's the guy who would know.

The Steering wheel guy (Doug Lepak) let me know he was down to his last 4-5 switches a year ago with no source for replacements. If Doug can’t find them I’m sure I couldn’t ...:(

I finally used once for an E-body That I had to shorten a little bit, then I unsolder the wires from the original switch that I re-solder to the new switch. Works fine, happy with the result

I finally used once for an E-body That I had to shorten a little bit, then I unsolder the wires from the original switch that I re-solder to the new switch. Works fine, happy with the result

Details?? Any pics of the procedure? Finding an answer to the eternal question of how to fix a Cbody rimblow is of vital importance....at least to me anyway :)

The Steering wheel guy (Doug Lepak) let me know he was down to his last 4-5 switches a year ago with no source for replacements.
Does he / did he have a source other than these?

1972 Chrysler New Yorker Parts | MD8034 | 1960-76 Mopar - Rim Blow Steering Wheel Switch | Classic Industries

I purchased one of these 18 months ago, but haven't installed it yet. It looks like it should work. The only reason I haven't installed it is because the wheel is cracked at the rim, needing to be rebuilt before the switch is installed. My car had a "knee switch" when I bought it.
ny-dash-jpg.jpg

I wanted to do something better, so I installed two mini pushbutton switches beneath the vinyl of the horn pad. You can see and feel the two "bumps" under the vinyl (one at each end of the pad), and use your thumb to sound the horn.

According to his details he was last seen July 30, 2018 so you probably won't get a reply.

@7071 chally was last on the board in Aug. 2019, but I did not get a reply. If he does read this post, I hope he does.

Does he / did he have a source other than these?

1972 Chrysler New Yorker Parts | MD8034 | 1960-76 Mopar - Rim Blow Steering Wheel Switch | Classic Industries

I purchased one of these 18 months ago, but haven't installed it yet. It looks like it should work.

@71NewYorkMan: any update on installing the switch? I looked at Classic Industries' website, and the repro switch is currently shown as "arriving soon!" (as opposed to being in stock).

Last edited:
Back