Road Trip Santa Barbara

The Goose

Reaction score
Went in search of cooler temps than where we live in Saugus. It hit 118 while we were gone so talk about good timing. It was 75 on the coast. Took the PCH & B roads up to Santa Barbara. It was 4th of July week so it was nuts on the holiday and then surprisingly deserted the rest of the week. Made for some good driving on the back roads. The car did great and it just eats up the miles. Gotta love a 318 auto. It reminds me of my dads 73 adventurer pick up, rock solid drivetrain with zero drama. Heavy traffic just can't faze it. Enjoy the pics.

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2762.PNG

Thats La Super Rica Taqueria a gem hidden in the shabbier part of town. Not sure if it's true but I've heard it was Julia Child's favorite spot in SB. After we ate everybody wanted to ride around town in Uncle's old car. Glad it has extra seatbelts as we had a full house. Took the kids cruising State street and then up to the Mission. It's a real pretty place to visit.

This was a nice opportunity to get the younger kids involved with those crazy old cars. They don't marvel at wind up windows anymore which is sad , but now most can tell a big block from a small block so I guess I am kinda doing the lords work.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

Incredible pictures, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Great thread and incredible pics! Would love to see more like this. Thanks for sharing your road trip with us.

Thanks for the kind words. I think we put about 3 to 350 miles on jumbo that trip mileage with the 600 Holley was 15 to 20. Never gets hot and the power drums are fine if you plan ahead. I forgot to take more pics cause we were having so much fun. In a normal car it would be fun but as you guys know these old crates make it fun and special. I'll post some more from our upcoming trip thru Death Valley next....

Thanks for putting a big smile on my face with all those photos. Santa Barbara is a super town to visit - one of my favorites. Those old missions are great sites to visit and some good food along the way in out of the way places are real culinary treasures too. Very encouraging to see young people like you guys, and Manny/Wyatt on the other side of the country actually enjoying C bodies. You guys know how to live!!

Too bad I wasn't around, I'm another 40 minutes up the road, might have been a good enough reason to dust the car off and go for a drive.

Next time take the 150 from Santa Paula through Ojai to Carpenteria.

Alan

Too bad I wasn't around, I'm another 40 minutes up the road, might have been a good enough reason to dust the car off and go for a drive.

Next time take the 150 from Santa Paula through Ojai to Carpenteria.

Alan

Alan you are so right. My brothers BIL is a fire chief in Ventura and lives in Ojai. That plunge into the valley from Santa Paula is like a roller coaster. My Favorite road up there is the backside of SB on the 192 under all those giant trees.

You ever go to the Cold Springs Tavern up on San Marcos Pass it's a pretty awesome spot. Off the 154 I think.

IMG_2798.PNG

IMG_2799.PNG

192 through Monticito is still closed from the mud slide. Done Cold Spring Tavern many times. Santa Barbara County has some of the best “back roads” in the state. I never get bored with talking a Sunday drive.

Alan

It sure does. Carpenteria is sure an awesome little town. Island brewing co and the Spot are some of our very favorites. we tried to make south thru to summerland and 192 dead ended. It was awful seeing all those beautiful houses wrecked like that. I work for CAT and local contractors say many people can't afford to rebuild even with good home owners insurance.

We are planning to take the old car & hit the Monterey Races if they ever reopen the PCH. All that rain really messed up the coast pretty bad.

Nice! I really like Santa Barbara but it is too far for me to visit regularly. I have to be satisfied with Santa Cruz and Monterey, so I guess its not so bad. The Cold Spring Tavern looks like my kinda place, though, so thanks for the tip. If you are ever up near SF I recommend making time for Alice's Restaurant at the corner of Skyline and 84 above Redwood City. On weekends it is a mecca for car and motorcycle lovers and there is always something interesting to see. Plus, the food is good!

I will have to check that place out above Redwood City. My family came from that area so I get down there once in a while - very once in a while, I'm afraid.

Nice! I really like Santa Barbara but it is too far for me to visit regularly. I have to be satisfied with Santa Cruz and Monterey, so I guess its not so bad. The Cold Spring Tavern looks like my kinda place, though, so thanks for the tip. If you are ever up near SF I recommend making time for Alice's Restaurant at the corner of Skyline and 84 above Redwood City. On weekends it is a mecca for car and motorcycle lovers and there is always something interesting to see. Plus, the food is good!

I've only seen Alice's in pictures. Looks like an awesome place. I grew up in San Jose but back then Dad did all the driving. I'll make a point of trying to see it. By the way if you have to settle on Monterey or Santa Cruz you're pretty dang lucky. Hope they fix the PCH so we can start enjoying it again. I hear it's opening soon.

Back