Road Wheels

robndi43

Reaction score
I keep hearing about Chrysler Road Wheels. I'm not sure what those are or look like. Does anyone have any pictures that you could post to me for my enlightenment?
I eventually want to put different wheels, hubcaps or something on my '61 Chrysler. I would love to see what the road wheels look like.
Thanks

leak04-jpg.jpg

nessie-in-driverway-jpg.jpg

WOW!!! THOSE ARE ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Have to go in search of a set of those. I actually had two of those, now that I think about it, on the back of a '74 Hornet. The volcano style AMC center caps fit them perfectly. Wish I knew what I did with those.
I believe mine were wider than 6". Did they come wider than that? It's been years and too much fog has invaded the cranium to remember exactly.

Just be aware that finding a good set of wheels, domes, caps, and the Road Wheel only trim rings is going to severely set you back.

WOW!!! THOSE ARE ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Have to go in search of a set of those. I actually had two of those, now that I think about it, on the back of a '74 Hornet. The volcano style AMC center caps fit them perfectly. Wish I knew what I did with those.
I believe mine were wider than 6". Did they come wider than that? It's been years and too much fog has invaded the cranium to remember exactly.

thank you!! restored em myself :D

IIRC, stockers are 6".

Stan (commando1) is right, with all the "extras" that go with them, they aint cheap. There are deals to be had if you are patient, accumulate the said "extras" and are open to restoring them yourself.

Yeah, I know. Wheels and tires are usually a major expense in this hobby.
I'll probably change my mind a dozen times while going through this rebuild process.
I March to the beat of a different drummer and like different stuff from the crowd.

I'll probably be ostracized from the group as I'm not going the purist route with my '61. My saving grace is the fact it's a forward look and not a true C Body as I understand it. I'm still in a learning curve with the mopars, even though it's my favorite brand. If it was AMC I'd be leading the discussions. I do appreciate all the help I've received so far.

I'll probably be ostracized from the group as I'm not going the purist route with my '61. My saving grace is the fact it's a forward look and not a true C Body as I understand it. I'm still in a learning curve with the mopars, even though it's my favorite brand. If it was AMC I'd be leading the discussions. I do appreciate all the help I've received so far.

nah. you'll definitely get your balls busted though. lol :poke:

put up some pics of your 61, lets get an idea of what your working with.

I keep hearing about Chrysler Road Wheels. I'm not sure what those are or look like. Does anyone have any pictures that you could post to me for my enlightenment?
I eventually want to put different wheels, hubcaps or something on my '61 Chrysler. I would love to see what the road wheels look like.
Thanks

Road Wheel is generic term that applies to any wheel that has a tire and has contact with the ground.

A 10 slot Rallye Wheel is a Road Wheel
A five spoke chrome wheel is a Road Wheel.
A steel wheel is a Road Wheel.

When you are looking for a set of these wheels pictured above, specify the C body only styled 16 slot wheels. Asking for a generic Road Wheel will confuse some vendors and you could wind up with several variations of Road Wheels. They could send you a steel wheel for a C body and they will have sent you a "Road Wheel".

Stay astute and you will find deals. At Carlisle on Thursday morning I spotted a box of trim rings . I searched through and found four absolutely ding /scratch free, $5.00 a ring. I bought all four and the seller admittedly said he had no idea what they belonged to but hoped the buyer would.

The centers pop up but you have to be aggressive.

I agree with your name calling Doug but asking about, guys know what a c body road wheel is

well, ya got your work cut out for you. lol

me, I like {gasp!} wire wheels. but I do like the wheel covers you have pictured.

Blue factory seats coming out and go into storage. '73 New Yorker seats bought from member, Sampling man, going back in after being dyed the two factory blue colors to match the rest of the interior.

downloadfile-3.jpg

downloadfile-6.jpg

IMG_20170805_185151.jpg

IMG_20170720_210508.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you may as well know the rest of the plan so you can get your forces ready for the attack!

361 engine, push-button automatic and one wheel peel differential coming out, along with the front drum brakes and factory power brake booster.
I bought a '75 Road Runner with 440 engine, 4 speed, sure grip rear with 3:73 gears and front disc brakes going back in. The 440 is from '72. The 4 speed is the 18 spline that came from a Hemi car and the rear diff is 52" plate to plate, same as my '61 Chrysler.
I also have a '69 big block complete, including the air cleaner, six pack set up going on the motor.
The only thing I really don't want to modify that I must do, is cut the tunnel from the Road Runner and put it in the '61 for the 4 speed shifter to work. Plan to keep everything that comes out of the car so after I'm gone, as that's the only way I'll get rid of it, somebody can put it back to stock if so desired.

Last edited:
Back