Rock Auto woes

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Anyone ever get the wrong parts from Rock Auto? I ordered lower intake gaskets and a valve cover set with upper intake gaskets for a 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV that I am going to fix for a friend. Here is the order below

invoice.jpg

The lower intake set is correct, this is what they sent for the valve cover set

gasket 2.jpg

gasket 1.jpg

They look like small block Mopar exhaust not Explorer valve cover gaskets.
They are supposed to be sending out the right parts, They said to hold onto these as they may want them sent back.

I have a little orange helper like that who gets covered with grease trying to help, very curious aren't they.

Dave

I’ve had good luck with the shipment matching the order and them having a better selection of parts than the local chains.

As for our cat, she meows at the door to the garage, but I keep her out so she doesn’t get into anything dangerous.

Rock auto sent me the wrong front caliber brake flex hoses. They asked for a photo, then sent out the correct ones. They told me to keep the wrong ones (for a Ford). It wasn’t worth it to them to send them back.

Wholesale/closeout is a crap shoot. I have never got the wrong parts but did not get enough because it was unclear how many in the package. I just had to get more later.
I stay away from the wholesale ones because with a multiple order the extra shipping amost always kills the deal $$ wise.

It is iffy with RockAuto. About 85 to 90 percent of the time they get it correct. I have a set of brake calipers that supposed to fit a 75 Cordoba, nope! I order several months in advance so when I can get to the project I have everything ready to go. So, I am stuck.

My experience has been that they have some really old stock.

2016 post
Rock Auto Dimmer Switch

I just ordered control arm bushings and the pictures of Moog parts actually show cracks in the rubber.

Sporty, I think you called the SBM exhaust gasket exactly!
Well maybe one of your buddies might need it some day. More potenial for use than say a 1968 Volvo windshield washer pump gasket.

I think that RA has many local/regional WDs they can drop-ship parts from. Which can affect shipping charges somewhat. It should be pretty easy to track where the particular parts were sourced from, but that can take time and people to make happen. So, easier to "lose/write-off" inventory than to pay to put it all back where it came from.

It is easier to order known brands/products from them rather than deal with some of the local auto supply operatives, if you can wait AND don't have a good local relationship in place. I generally like the diversity of product brands/lines which RA has, though. Whatever works!

CBODY67

I just picked up a bunch of maintenance items for the RMB last week but dropped a few of the larger items as my shipping doubled. I watch where they are shipping from and delete the items that don’t ship from one or two sources then take the part numbers to my local NAPA and have them bring it in no shipping. They may be a few bucks more than RA but the free shipping cancels it out. BTW the stupid transporter is dropping the RMB off at the Dealership today....a Sunday....how do I tell my wife I have to goto work on a Sunday....:BangHead:

Similar story. Ordered 4 rotors. They all came from the same place with reasonable ground shipping. I added 1 closeout oil filter for $2 and the shipping went up by $10. So removed it and started added each possible low cost filter until it I found one from the same location. Then I bumped up the qty to 4 filters. No increase in shipping . Ordered Friday 8AM and it was here on sat afternoon.

I just picked up a bunch of maintenance items for the RMB last week but dropped a few of the larger items as my shipping doubled. I watch where they are shipping from and delete the items that don’t ship from one or two sources then take the part numbers to my local NAPA and have them bring it in no shipping. They may be a few bucks more than RA but the free shipping cancels it out. BTW the stupid transporter is dropping the RMB off at the Dealership today....a Sunday....how do I tell my wife I have to goto work on a Sunday....:BangHead:
You are
upload_2019-1-20_10-45-21.jpeg

640-02952311en_Masterfile.jpg

It is iffy with RockAuto. About 85 to 90 percent of the time they get it correct. I have a set of brake calipers that supposed to fit a 75 Cordoba, nope! I order several months in advance so when I can get to the project I have everything ready to go. So, I am stuck.

I ordered in advance and got stuck with a radiator hose that doesn't fit because they only allow 30 days to return. I thought I was going to have to do the radiator in our 07 T&C over Christmas, it was going to cost me $5 more to buy the parts locally once shipping was added. I've gotten to the point that I use RA to get an idea of what it's going to cost me then I call the locals. I've got a great relationship with them too.

Similar story. Ordered 4 rotors. They all came from the same place with reasonable ground shipping. I added 1 closeout oil filter for $2 and the shipping went up by $10. So removed it and started added each possible low cost filter until it I found one from the same location. Then I bumped up the qty to 4 filters. No increase in shipping . Ordered Friday 8AM and it was here on sat afternoon.
Heavy stuff is hard to do, but with smaller parts in the mail the closeouts are not always the best deal. Now that PA wants their sales tax money I can sometimes do better local paying no sales tax.

My opinion. I frequently order from Rockauto, for a couple reasons, price, selection and the fact I can price side jobs and such easier.

I deal with 6 local parts places, and 9 out of 10 times I can get a better quality part from Rockauto at the same price shipping included as I can buy a cheapy white box part at my cost.

I had one problem with an item I ordered and they were very willing to make it right.

They have always gotten it right, this the first time I have had an issue with the wrong part. I use them when it's something that I can wait for, if I need it now I get it locally.

When I noticed the one part was wrong I used the order status/return link on their site and followed all the directions. They promised the correct part Thursday and when I arrived home for lunch it was waiting on the porch. I opened it to check it out, it's the correct gaskets and they even gave me another magnet. They fixed it and I am a happy camper.

Back