Rock Hard pedal/1965 power brakes new MC

mopar440

Reaction score
1965 New Yorker wagon power drum brakes

Brakes went to the floor, so I replaced the master and bench bled.

On the car (engine off) I started to bleed, but ran out of time, didn't get fluid out of right rear wheel yet. Was able to.pump pedal multiple times, engine off.

Came back a few days later, and the pedal is rock hard, and can't get any fluid to any wheels yet

I assumed I needed vacuum to the booster, do I put on my vacuum pump at 25 inches not vacuum, no change. Is that enough vacuum? I assumed it was.

I've bled tons of cars with power brakes and dual master cyl, and have been able to at least start bleeding, but this one I can't. Single master, rebuilt.

I can't run it much, since there is no exhaust. Neighbors don't like that. Have not started it since installing new master. With the old one, the pedal did drop a bit when car was started, and I could hear that booster/vacuum assist sound

I'm sure I probably have a collapsed hose, but ALL of them? Bad master? Never had this.problem before, it has a single master cylinder.

I should add that I can't suck any fluid from the rear wheels , and pedal is hard with a bleeder open too

I'm thinking about he proportion valve maybe is stuck

Prop valve (if original) is only a distribution block - no moving parts inside.

Sounds like you have a bad out of the box master... especially if all was working reasonably properly before...

Thank you for the response,

I cracked the line coming out of the master, a little bit of fluid comes out but it's still pretty hard.

I did start it up temporarily and no change in the pedal.

I removed the line from the mc totally, the pedal drops

I replaced that line, and the pedal moves, but still fairly hard

I ordered hoses, and can I replace all the hoses in a couple days. I just want the thing to move so I can move it around my yard in winter right now

Work your way down the chain...

Metering block,
Right rear,
Left rear,
Right front,
Left front,

Sooner or later it will manifest which hose it is.

Turns out all three houses were bad, first time I've had that happen ,hoses fixed it

Back