Rocker moldings

Kippy

Reaction score
Im changing the type of rocker moldings on my car and so I have to drill new holes which the thought of is making me nervous.
I had thought to tape the entire area and place the molding were I want it and trace it out on the. tape.
Then strike a center line. Now to make that line, I haven't figured out but thought a chalk line maybe.
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

it would prob help if you said what year make and model you had and what year make and model trim you are thinking of using.
and how is it held in place, some moldings might have a screw at each end but also have hidden clips or brackets that are held on either by screws or studs......

Its a 69 Sport Satellite. The SS has its own moldings that have different brackets then any other moldings. These brackets that hold the molding are impossible to find. They mount with two holes for each piece, while the other brackets or clips have only one hole. Once the moldings are in place you cannot see the holes, so what I have to do is drill one new hole for each molding mounting clip. The holes I would drill have to be all perfectly aligned with each other and in not to high or low on the rocker panel

i think you'd get more specific advice if you asked on a B body group like FCBO, im sure someone there has dealt with the same issue

Here is a link to what I did. I made a template with the holes laid out, secured it to the car and drilled.
Here is to the page where I started building the template. Lots of different opinions and advice prior.

To drill or not to drill -or how to find my original trim holes '68 Polara
Thank you, that was a brilliant way of doing it and id say fool proof.... I have a piece of 1/8 masonite that maybe id try....I was thinking of a 1/8 pilot hole in the template.... Thanks again you were a tremendous help!!!!

Back