Roof Rail weatherstripping for a 77 Newport Coupe

Pclancy

Reaction score
Using information from Kip Gardiner, an FCBO member, I contacted Restoration Specialties, who kindly responded with two choices:

AS1720 96"

AS1799 96"

It's hard for me to tell which if any of the above parts would work. My Newport is a two door hardtop.

Another FCBO member, Rapidtrans, suggested I contact Dantesparts, but their inventory does not seem to list my model or year.

Any ideas? Thank you all.

Peter Clancy

We’re screwed.. those of us with 2Dr NYB’s are S-O-L. Unless one of the ones listed can be retrofitted to work. Go ahead!! Give it a shot and let me know. Lol

Last edited:
I bought the last two NOS pcs left in the universe.
They went with my white 76 2dr when I sold it years ago.
Good luck with the search.

PClancy, if you or a fellow member has a picture of the profile, could you post a picture of it. The AS1720 or 1799 is more for the glass channel runs and not a roof rail seal.
Better yet, if anyone is coming to Carlisle, drive your car over or bring a sample and let us look at it. Possibly Dave or Todd may be aware of something that will work. Our tent is located just outside of building T in rows H and I in spots 136-143.

It's the thick bank of weather stripping that runs just under the roof line and helps form a seal when the window is rolled up. Is that what you meant by profile? Please see attached photo and many thanks!

57-3.jpg

The issue is that the correct profile may be available in a bulk extrusion, but for the most part, all of the roof rail seals consist of three pieces which will be different profiles. The leading edge that is a finished end up near the cowl and A-pillar will be finished end, then you will have the bulk material that the glass rolls up into for the door and quarter glass. For some cars, they will have what I call a tail which is the third extrusion that wraps up into the end of the quarter glass area. Sometimes, we can take and cut a used original seal up and splice in the A-Pillar end and quarter end onto the bulk extrusion to resolve the issue. Hopefully, you will be able to understand my abbreviated description.

If more questions, you can drop me a message or post a question.

The issue is that the correct profile may be available in a bulk extrusion, but for the most part, all of the roof rail seals consist of three pieces which will be different profiles. The leading edge that is a finished end up near the cowl and A-pillar will be finished end, then you will have the bulk material that the glass rolls up into for the door and quarter glass. For some cars, they will have what I call a tail which is the third extrusion that wraps up into the end of the quarter glass area. Sometimes, we can take and cut a used original seal up and splice in the A-Pillar end and quarter end onto the bulk extrusion to resolve the issue. Hopefully, you will be able to understand my abbreviated description.

If more questions, you can drop me a message or post a question.
I have some scrap remains of a 4 door HT... what is you vendor space at Carlisle? I'll have a complete car there too.

We are right outside of building T. The tent is in rows H and I in spots 136 through 143. Banners will say Restoration Parts and Materials.

Back