Roof Rail Weatherstripping

march

Reaction score
FYI, I've contacted Restoration Specialties re: the 4 door hardtop roof rail weatherstrip that some have asked him to create. I received the following reply, and will follow-up in a month:

I HAVE THAT MATERAIL IN PRODUCTION. I'M CURRENTLY WAITING ON A SAMPLE RUN OF IT FROM MY MANUFACTUER. ID SAY CHECK BACK IN A MONTH TO SEE WHERE WE ARE AT WITH PRODUCTION.

THANKS
MATT PENATZER
RESTORATION SPECIALTIES AND SUPPLY INC.
814-467-9842 EXT 1756
[email protected]

I’m going to follow this because maybe someday I’ll have a 74 Monaco hardtop and this weatherstripping will be available then.

I’m going to follow this because maybe someday I’ll have a 74 Monaco hardtop and this weatherstripping will be available then.

Don't hold your breath.....

NO ONE has any interest in reproducing these part(s). Two different parts. Left and right are different.

I HAVE THAT MATERAIL IN PRODUCTION.

That same line was given to me 6-7 years ago.

NO ONE has any interest in reproducing these part(s). Two different parts. Left and right are different.

I 'm interested. There is a company in Savannah that does custom foam rubber extrusions (I have contracted ship projects to them) Problem is minimum footage. How many folks would be interested?

I 'm interested. There is a company in Savannah that does custom foam rubber extrusions (I have contracted ship projects to them) Problem is minimum footage. How many folks would be interested?
Dig around, the question has been asked here before... 2-3 dozen will fly off the shelves as we stock up... then the demand will drop off sharply.

The issue might not be the "roll goods" aspect of things, but getting the correct "plug" ends on the roll goods. The A-pillar angles might be "cut to fit", then glued together with black adhesive?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The issue might not be the "roll goods" aspect of things, but getting the correct "plug" ends on the roll goods.
I understand about the ends. The company I have in mind will only be able to supply the "roll goods". I'll follow this thread and make some inquiries.

Last edited:
Most are not aware of the manufacturing process for these seals.
Cost of extrusion molding dies for rubber.
Cost of four (4) injection molding dies for rubber.
Cost of tooling to attach molded pieces and extruded pieces.
Manufacturing costs.
Break even point: 250 units.
Projected sales: 36.

If it's only the extrusion sold in bulk, it may happen.

Then for the next 20 years we'll get posts pleading, Where can I find the molded parts of the seal for...

:rolleyes:

That’s interesting data. What do you think the sale price would be in your example where 250 units are required for break even?

That’s interesting data. What do you think the sale price would be in your example where 250 units are required for break even?
I forget the numbers but I went through this years ago and it would have been an expensive losing endeavor.

Me too.

I forget the numbers but I went through this years ago and it would have been an expensive losing endeavor.
So we only need to find one sucker who will get stuck holding about 200 seals? That's better than I thought.

Question: Can this 4 door weather stripping be used on a 2 door....with a little cutting and trim work? I've looked at my 2 door NYB and my 4 door '75 Imperial and they look the same.

Question: Can this 4 door weather stripping be used on a 2 door....with a little cutting and trim work? I've looked at my 2 door NYB and my 4 door '75 Imperial and they look the same.
I promise that if the 4 door seals become available, I'd be one of the first to try to fit them to a 2 door.

Back