"Rosewood" 64 Crown Coupe

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
thought i'd post about my latest....
a 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe, it's got all options except p trunk and a reverb unit for the rear speaker ( i have a p trunk set up and a reverb in my parts car that i will put in).
the body is very straight and solid, not rusty and the chrome is good.
it runs very well and is very quiet and smooth.
interior not so great but nothing a wheelbarrow full of $ cant fix.
its a color called rosewood, which is kind of mauve.
its a color that was known to fade.
the interior was mauve, but mauve interiors also fade pretty badly so its now a color i call "morgue flesh" and the pearlescent effect is long gone.
you could only get mauve cloth & leather upholstery, no mauve all leather seats.
the mauve cloth also was known not last well and at some point someone replaced the cloth seat faces with vinyl.
which is now a strange coppery mauve shade..... the lighter colored parts of the seats was mauve leather but now looks light tan

gotta get some white walls on ASAP and paint the turquoise center caps "rosewood"

20190205_110231.jpg

20190203_123551.jpg

20190203_123404.jpg

20190205_110200.jpg

20190202_141208.jpg

20190201_095323.jpg

Very nice Imp!

I dont think I've ever seen one with that color interior!

Very nice!

Wild color, I like it. Hard to find in nice solid condition, good find.

Dave

It'll be fine when you get it all sorted out.

"Rosewood" was kind of popular in wood-toned plastics, like optional steering wheels and such. An alternative to "walnut" or "mahogany", I suspect. Usually in the 1964-'68 timeframe.

Back then, the lighter metallic paints were the first to fade. Darker metallics took longer. But that gold metallic from '68-'69 NEVER seemed to fade if it had wax every so often.

Keep us posted on your progress!
CBODY67

Saaaweeeeeeet!:)

That is a solid looking car in a very unique color. I like it a lot. Keep us posted on any progress.

Nice car! I had a '64 Crown Coupe, but nowhere near as nice as yours.

2013-2015 cell phone 481.jpg
2013-2015 cell phone 483.jpg
As you said, the nylon cloth didn't hold up so well. I was able to get some OEM cloth from SMS and had my M8Q interior redone with this as the result. All the leather is original, as I don't have the fading which yours has experienced. I will say it might have been better to just replace the turquoise cloth with matching leather as now I am paranoid about anything staining the cloth. But that wouldn't have been as original. View attachment 262112 View attachment 262113

It looks like SMS does have the cloth in Mauve, FYI. Like you said, there's nothing about that interior that $ won't fix! I think Rosewood/Mauve really looks good on the 64s. Really unique. Reminds me of the most beautiful Cadillac I've ever seen
1959 Eldorado Biarritz at Pebble Beach.jpg

1964 Imperial Cloth 64-40228

@marko you are amassing quite the collection out there on the island! Gonna do my best to help you lighten the load one day...:)

tx for the comments guys,
the plan for this car is to go through the brakes, convert to a dual master cyl,
i have new brake hoses, change fluids, belts, filters.
get rad recored if needed, and new tires w 1.6" whitewalls.
got to drop the gas tank, clean it out, ( runs off a gas can at present) carb already was rebuilt.
then prime/convert/paint floors, get windows, seats and locks working......
heater ac control unit's buttons are stuck, etc etc !
mark

@marko you are amassing quite the collection out there on the island! Gonna do my best to help you lighten the load one day...:)
like i said the other day, im happy to drive the 77 t-top doba to vancouver for you if you can't make it to the island.....

I would need to rent your basement as I would not have a home to live in if I bring another one home....there are 3 Doba's I currently want which is 3 more than management wants me to have....:(

View attachment 262114 View attachment 262115 As you said, the nylon cloth didn't hold up so well. I was able to get some OEM cloth from SMS and had my M8Q interior redone with this as the result. All the leather is original, as I don't have the fading which yours has experienced. I will say it might have been better to just replace the turquoise cloth with matching leather as now I am paranoid about anything staining the cloth. But that wouldn't have been as original. View attachment 262112 View attachment 262113

your turquoise interior looks great !
got a pic of the rest of the car for inspiration ?
i did get some samples from sms but the colors look pretty drab.
in the future i might look for similar but nicer material but the vinyl seating faces on the seats at the moment is soft and quite comfortable.
i will do new headliner and carpet this year.
i think you are right that it might be better to go with leather.
heres some pics of a nice mauve car with mauve cloth.
and my faded door panel compared to a nice one.....

DXO_2576.jpg

DXO_2584.jpg

20181006_140510.jpg

DXO_2593.jpg

I would need to rent your basement as I would not have a home to live in if I bring another one home....there are 3 Doba's I currently want which is 3 more than management wants me to have....:(

Form a union and go on strike...

I should probably add "if you dare"

Marko, on tires, I have made an
IMG_0241.jpg
exhaustive study of reasonably priced tires and have come up with a good option for all '64 Imperial owners: Ironman RB-12 NWS 235/75R15 | TireBuyer
Pictured here on my '64 Crown Convertible, these are the closest to OEM whitewall width that exist without going the Diamondback route. Of course, it pains me to put a Chinese tire on an Imperial. I want Goodyear Double Eagles just like my Grandfather had on his '64 LeBaron, but they do not exist. As a long-term multi Imperial collector, I never wear out tires, they rot first, so I can't justify spending $1000 on a set of tires. At $255 for four they are a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Good to see it being taken care of...very special color that makes you think maybe a lady who looked good in that color picked it out.

I had a '64 Fury in Sandalwood, similar but a little darker, in the sun you could see the different colors mixed in.

Marko, on tires, I have made an View attachment 262234 exhaustive study of reasonably priced tires and have come up with a good option for all '64 Imperial owners: Ironman RB-12 NWS 235/75R15 | TireBuyer
Pictured here on my '64 Crown Convertible, these are the closest to OEM whitewall width that exist without going the Diamondback route. Of course, it pains me to put a Chinese tire on an Imperial. I want Goodyear Double Eagles just like my Grandfather had on his '64 LeBaron, but they do not exist. As a long-term multi Imperial collector, I never wear out tires, they rot first, so I can't justify spending $1000 on a set of tires. At $255 for four they are a pretty good deal.

thanks for that !
i will order a set ( or 2).
i read the reviews, some people said they yellowed - have yours been alright ?
and do you recall what the white wall width is ?
mark

Last edited:
Back