Rust near both lower corners of windscreen

system11

Reaction score
So 1969 Fury III convertible, I hadn't noticed this until I happened to have the bonnet up and the doors open at the same time while replacing the door jamb switches.

uhoh1.jpg
uhoh2.jpg

uhoh3.jpg

Is this a common rust point and if so how depressed should I feel? For now, I got a long brush and painted some Ku-rust in there - but I prefer to get things done properly. Added an image under that area from inside the fender / door area, I didn't have a magnet with me but from a tap test it seems like that side at least is all metal.

It's both sides, that's some kind of sealant or rusted metal & bondo lifting up, other side is 'probably' similar underneath. I'm not sure what the construction should be like there, does anyone have a car which hasn't been repaired in that area (or has but back to factory) who could send me a couple of photos?

It's a 50 year old car, so not surprisingly it has rust.
Maybe take to a body shop and get some advice, it may not be that bad. Rust proofing was in its infancy back then and cars weren't built to last 50 years.

Good luck with it.

It's not something you should worry about.
Small and mainly surface rust.

I'm not really up on my Fusie anatomy, it's been 19 years since I had a 69 Fury apart so forgive me if I'm way off base.
I can't tell exactly from your photos but that wouldn't particularly worry me. At worst, pop your hood (scribe your hinges), clean it up with a wire wheel, treat it and seal it. It's a black and relatively hidden part and doesn't look to be anything structural.

Worst part of rust is when it is covered in some manner that helps retain moisture.
So scrape any loose crap off, treat it as GJS said, or even leaving it exposed would be good, too. (tight-smearing grease on it would work also)
Our cars should be seeing only wash water and occasional rain at this point, so rust creep will be very slow compared to when they were driven daily in all climates.

Yeah the only water that should hit it now are occasional washes - it's stored in a humidity controlled facility, never goes out in the rain, and the screenwash is broken (dead short behind the dash somewhere, runs continuously if the pump is grounded).

I guess all I can do is take the filler/bondo/sealant/whatever it is off, and see what's underneath - I might leave it for the bodyshop as I was planning to get them to strip down and sort out an area of blistering in front of the rear passenger wheel.

Back