Rust never sleeps....

70Tom

Reaction score
I've gotta say, while I've used them before, I'm super impressed with the 3M Bristle Disc (green one) when it comes to handling rust. It eats it right up.

Now if I only didn't wast about 4 hours today with the front valance, bumper, fender extensions..., I'd have gotten a lot further with rust removal.

IMG_2814.JPG

I sanded the paint off a 12ft aluminum jon boat with one of those, worked great and left the metal. No gouges.

Are they flexible enough to get in floor and trunk channels?

Are they flexible enough to get in floor and trunk channels?
I'm not sure. I've only used them on flat panels. They flex some but are pretty stiff. The 3" disc might be better for the floor.

How do you keep the rust away after you've done the work grinding away at it, but before priming it and painting? Dumb question?, but I haven't really found anything on the forum about this. I am looking to start my 67' 300 after i finish my basement (which is soon) and am consumed by figuring some of this stuff out before mistakes are made.

I live in Phoenix, so it's not an issue. Eastwood used to have a metal etch that would protect the bare metal while stripping, but I don't see it online anymore.

If it is an easy to clean panel, you could wipe it down with oil. If major rust is not forming, you could use phosphoric acid or similar acid product to kill the minor/invisible rust just before you paint. I'm not an expert though!

Thanks for the info guys. ND isn't quite as forgiving in the weather department so I was concerned about moisture and rust after exposing the bare metal, even for a short time. Love this forum.

Last edited:
still must kill the rust in the metal pours , need an acid . i've used a watered down vinegar solution . just a spray bottle , wet the whole bare metal surface . it kind-a turns orange rusty color . let that dry . then back to a scuff pad and bare metal ready for primer sealer . if you don't kill it . well it will come back as bubbles under the paint job . and then its back to bare metal again . todays paint jobs are not cheap at all . so all your prep will save you money . pics of a dart i did , with 2k worth of paint on it after this .

DSC04372.JPG

DSC04627.JPG

DSC04710.JPG

DSC04914.JPG

DSC04443.JPG

DSC05056.JPG

DSC05119.JPG

DSC05120.JPG

DSC05121.JPG

DSC05131.JPG

Back