Rust proof lug nuts?

OneEyed

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm looking to replace my lug nuts and washers....after 4 yrs. they are getting a bit of rust around the edges. Anyone know of a great quality lug nut and HD washer? I have 14" AWC Supreme wheels, uni-lug. I don't drive this in the winter nor have I even touched the lug nuts since I had them mounted. I think I bought the set from Lug Nut King on ebay. Just wondering if theres something better? Stainless steel? I bought some crap from O'reillys 2 years ago for my other car and they are getting a bit of rust too...So it seems I cant win. Also, since I'm talking wheels...any idea what the life expectancy is on valve stems? All four on the Supremes are cracked...had a flat today too because of it. After just 4 yrs of only driving a few hundred miles in the summer I feel like this stuff should last longer.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

1967 Newport, 14" wheels/tires

McGard are the only chrome plated ones that I know of that don't rust.

Milton valve stems are probably still made in the US and should last a decade or more.

Jeff

McGard are the only chrome plated ones that I know of that don't rust.

Milton valve stems are probably still made in the US and should last a decade or more.

Jeff
Thanks for the response! Are valve stems a tire shop job? Does the tire need to be removed to replace them? Also, do you have a part number?

Thanks for the response! Are valve stems a tire shop job? Does the tire need to be removed to replace them? Also, do you have a part number?

Partially. The top bead needs to be separated from the rim to install the new stem. It's best done on a tire machine.

I called my local tire shop that originally installed the wheels and they said that 4yrs for valve stems is about right....Pretty sure the ones on my Honda are over 15 yrs old...that and my GF's 2015 Buick (4yrs old)valve stems look brand new. Not sure I'm buying into this tire shop clowns line of BS. Never in my life have I even though about a valve stem and all of a sudden I've got four bad ones??

With that being said, I can't figure out what size I need. I think I can narrow it down to two standard sizes, does this sound right? One for passenger car applications (0.453) and a larger (0.625) for high pressure/racing? Can anyone verify?
Thanks!!

I called my local tire shop that originally installed the wheels and they said that 4yrs for valve stems is about right....Pretty sure the ones on my Honda are over 15 yrs old...that and my GF's 2015 Buick (4yrs old)valve stems look brand new. Not sure I'm buying into this tire shop clowns line of BS. Never in my life have I even though about a valve stem and all of a sudden I've got four bad ones??

With that being said, I can't figure out what size I need. I think I can narrow it down to two standard sizes, does this sound right? One for passenger car applications (0.453) and a larger (0.625) for high pressure/racing? Can anyone verify?
Thanks!!

Sounds about right on the sizes. Many of the older truck rims used the larger size.

Back