Rust, Rust everywhere

josehf34

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was inspecting my 74 fury for rust and I found more rust that I used to know. There's some rust in the trunk door (some small holes and If I shake the door some rust comes out), there's a lot of rust just between the tail lights panel and trunk floor, the driver door skin now has some rust holes and there's advanced rust on quarter panels and some small holes in the firewall (2 or 3), no bigger than 0.4 - 0.6" of diameter.

Now my question is. Can this be fixed or must I replace quarter panels, trunk door, firewall ?

Pics will tell the story much better than words.

Here are the photos

2014-05-10 17.22.50.jpg

Driver door:
2014-05-10 17.33.52.jpg

Left Quarter panel
2014-05-10 17.34.08.jpg

Left Quarter panel
2014-05-10 17.34.20.jpg

Left Quarter panel
2014-05-10 17.34.28.jpg

Trunk door
2014-05-10 17.35.25.jpg

Trunk floor
2014-05-10 17.35.40.jpg

2014-05-10 17.22.50.jpg

2014-05-10 17.33.52.jpg

2014-05-10 17.34.08.jpg

2014-05-10 17.34.20.jpg

2014-05-10 17.34.28.jpg

2014-05-10 17.35.25.jpg

2014-05-10 17.35.40.jpg

How's your sheet metal forming and welding skills?

Posted via Topify on Android
that sounds bad ... The body shop can do the work but the question right now is: must them replace the entire part (quarter panel, trunk door or door skin) or will be enough just cutting the rusted section?

Most likely you won't be able to find a good replacement quarter panel for the car. It would be best, but there is no good reproduction sheet metal for a 4 door Fury and used panels might need the same amount of work. You might be able to find a door or trunk lid, but figure the cost of buying and shipping (if you can't find any local) against the repair cost.

The worst seems to be the dog leg in front of the wheel well. It looks like it's been patched before, so there may be more that you haven't discovered yet.

The rust does look bad, but it can be cut out and weld in new metal. I have been using my shrinker/stretcher that I got for my birthday. It would work great in your situation. Good luck. Check out my avatar.

Most likely you won't be able to find a good replacement quarter panel for the car. It would be best, but there is no good reproduction sheet metal for a 4 door Fury and used panels might need the same amount of work. You might be able to find a door or trunk lid, but figure the cost of buying and shipping (if you can't find any local) against the repair cost.

The worst seems to be the dog leg in front of the wheel well. It looks like it's been patched before, so there may be more that you haven't discovered yet.

Isn't possible to find used plymouth fury 74 quarter panel where I live, mine is the unique Fury that I know, If I need body parts I must buy them from murray c bodies and ship it from the EE.UU to south america. My concern is whether the result would be better buying a used quarter panel (or trunk floor or door) or let the body shop to fix the rusted parts
The rust does look bad, but it can be cut out and weld in new metal. I have been using my shrinker/stretcher that I got for my birthday. It would work great in your situation. Good luck. Check out my avatar.

If the rust is cuted out and new metal is welded, does the result will look like the original part?

It's all going to depend on how good the body shop is.

I'm a bit more calmer now. When the car comes in the body shop I'll be posting some process photos

Thanks to everybody :)

Well,not sure how body shops can be near you,but most charge a high hourly rate,and when it comes to custom work it's very time consuming.To get an idea of how far the rust damage has gone,take a wire wheel to the rusted area until you get down to clean bare metal,then clean back about 2-3 inches beyond that to make sure you've got some good metal to weld to.Something that might help,since you say getting a quarter panel may be expensive for shipping,if you just need the lower quarter sections and what is called the dogleg area between the door and wheelwell,then have someone cut those parts out and have them shipped instead of the whole panel,but make sure you get enough metal to cover just beyond the repair.As for the trunklid,your best bet is to replace it with a used one,as the rust seems to be in the internal frame and eating it's way outward. Once you have the areas repaired try spraying/brushing POR 15 from the backside to prevent any further rust.It will also help with sound deadening too.

Back