RV2 AC Compressor - Searching for Education!

Wile E Coyote

Super Genius
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1974 440 car and am restoring the AC system.
I order a new/remanufactured RV2 compressor for a 74 440. I also head down the path of rebuilding the "what I think is original" RV2 compressor off the car.
New compressor arrives; it has three mounting holes.
The "original" compressor has two mounting holes.
(See pics)
Does anyone know the differences - or the "why"s of two holes versus three holes?
Big block small block - were the AC pumps different?
Thanks in advance for any help, guidance or info!
Ron

IMG_3080 2.JPG

IMG_3084-2.png

The number of mount holes will not make any difference as to the functionality of the compressor. Some of the compressors had the 3 mount holes others had two. I think the two mount hole style is a later compressor. The unit on your work bench is an early style because it still has the oil pressure relief system, the later ones did not.

Dave

Last edited:
The number of mount holes will not make any difference as to the functionality of the compressor. Some of the compressors had the 3 mount holes others had two. I think the three mount hole style is a later compressor. The unit on your work bench is an early style because it still has the oil pressure relief system, the later ones did not.

Dave
Thank you Davea for your input! I appreciate your comments!

@Davea Lux - while you're usually spot on and I rely on your expertise therefore, this time you're backwards on the mounting holes... but completely correct in that it will make no difference in the functionality. :poke: :)

3 hole compressors were early style, 2 hole were later. I went through this a few years ago.

My 66s have 3 hole compressors and corresponding mounting bracketry.

A 3 hole will mount up fine in place of an original 2 holer but a 2 holer will cause one to have brackets and braces that are not useable when used in place of an original 3 holer. Unwanted vibration may result. Also, @Wile E Coyote the 3 holers are rarer now, and someone may wish to have it. See if you can get a 2 holer for yours and sell the 3 holer to someone needing an earlier one.

Last edited:
After 50 years, I do not always remember them all! Fixed the original post.

Dave

If you plan to use the rebuilt unit, I recommend (very carefully) pulling the front cover off and inspecting the seal and shaft (don't touch the seal though!) Sometimes these sit on the shelf for a long time and develop corrosion in these areas which will render your seal ineffective. Also, if you are still using R-12 refrigerant then you'll need the EPR valve that's hopefully still in the back suction port of your old RV2.

Good luck!

If you are able to rebuild your original unit go for it. These days reman units, no matter what part, are a crap shoot. I put a reman compressor on my Fury a few years ago and it didn't even last a year. I bought a seal kit for my original one, followed the FSM instructions to the letter, refilled the system with R12 and it is still blowing ice cold air. Good luck with your project.

where can I buy repair kits for these compressors?

Compressor gasket set (oem style gaskets), and shaft seal kits are available from Classic Industries.
MD646747 - 1961-76 Mopar Rv2 AC Compressor Shaft Seals
MD646748 - 1961-76 Mopar Rv2 AC Compressor Gasket Set

Front shaft bearing (early RV2, up to 1977) -Mopar #
2019 681- available on eBay.
NOS MOPAR 1966-1974 RV-2 A/C COMPRESSOR CRANKSHAFT BEARING | eBay

OEM style (metal) inlet/outlet compressor gaskets are available from Santech

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 6.56.10 PM.png

Compressor gasket set (oem style gaskets), and shaft seal kits are available from Classic Industries.
MD646747 - 1961-76 Mopar Rv2 AC Compressor Shaft Seals
MD646748 - 1961-76 Mopar Rv2 AC Compressor Gasket Set

Front shaft bearing (early RV2, up to 1977) -Mopar #
2019 681- available on eBay.
NOS MOPAR 1966-1974 RV-2 A/C COMPRESSOR CRANKSHAFT BEARING | eBay

OEM style (metal) inlet/outlet compressor gaskets are available from Santech

View attachment 435714

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer!

Back