Safe line master cylinder?

weirdbeard

Reaction score
The 67 Imperial master cylinder was leaking and since it was a replaced one already I ordered one new from Napa. Of course after installing it I discovered it was defective. I tried getting a replacement only to find out they are no longer manufactured. It wasn’t even a month later!
After many phone calls and vendor checks, I called AMS Obsolete out of Fairmount Ga. They have a new Safe Line brand made in U.S.A. but I don’t know anything about them. I just need a quality master cylinder for the Imp.

I had 2 failures of aftermarket MC's on my Budd equipped 67. I disassembled them & both had longitudinal machining scratches in the bores. Apparently some kind of manufacturing screw up, the fact that 2 of them had the same problem was likely not coincidence. It might have been possible to hone the scratch out but instead I rebuilt my original unit which actually never failed but was crusty. I had a place called Karps install a SS sleeve (there are others that do this) & rebuilt it using a Raybestos kit (obsolete). You can also find NOS rebuild kits occasionally. Not the cheapest way to do it but I've had zero problems since & I figure you shouldn't skimp on brake parts. One scary incident of the brake pedal going to the floor on a steep hill (with another car on my bumper) convinced me of that.

One other thing, the original M/C casting has a different shape than the aftermarket ones and the covers do not interchange.

I did locate a Raybestos and a Wagner on eBay but they’re listed for 1970 and up. Not sure if anything else is compatible or if this is another Imperial only thing.
The Napa mc I just installed had the bottom piston replacement screw stripped from the factory and the lid leaks. I just want a quality one. The year of the Imp doesn’t help.

I just read on the Imperial club site that a 1974 Newport mc will replace a 67-68 Imperial one. Sounds like it’s a little bigger but bolts right up. Anyone experimented with interchanging mc’s?

Believe Centric is the only only game in town if you want new. You may find some old replacement stock or even NOS. NOS goes for big $ because it looks similar to those used on hemi cars. Critical dimension is the 1-1/8" bore. Some other MC's may fit with minor line mods due to varying widths. Good luck.

I know the frustration. I ended up rebuilding the new one, torn seal in it

I believe the cast is bad. Stripped threads underneath and the lid won’t seal. The one I took off was leaking at the booster. It was a Wagner I should have looked into rebuilding.

I believe the cast is bad. Stripped threads underneath and the lid won’t seal. The one I took off was leaking at the booster. It was a Wagner I should have looked into rebuilding.
I did save one of the aftermarket castings, nothing wrong with it except machine work. $15 + shipping. Will throw in the cover/ gasket.

Going with this is a disc car for now. This is the same one NAPA offers for both the 67 C's and the Imperial. It's USA made if I don't mis-remember it actually came in a Raybestos box.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMA...+Master+Cylinder&keywordInput=master+cylinder
This is the exact one that I bought and installed that was defective. Came in a Napa box and didn’t say made in USA anywhere that I could see. This is no longer manufactured or available.
As you said, if they offered this for “C” bodies and Imperials I should have more options that will fit. I’m going to investigate and pay close attention to bore and fitting size of different models.

After some investigation with Napa, I ordered a master cylinder for a 74 Newport. Everything is identical except it looks a little taller and the bore size is 1 1/32“ instead of 1 1/8.” I also may need a 9/16-20 to 9/16-18 adapter for the one fitting. It might actually be the same one that’s on my 72 Newport.

Last edited:
Back