safety switch problem?

Straight eight

Reaction score
Hi,
think i´ve a problem with my safety switch on my 69´Newport. The engine starts in neutral position only but not in the parking position. Probably its only an adjusting thing....Where is the switch located? Thank you.

The switch is on the transmission. Passenger side, three wire plug just below the linkage.

It could be an adjustment in the linkage, but my bet is the switch itself is worn. I've had this happen in a couple cars and the problem was the contact on the switch was worn just enough to be "fussy" about starting in park.

I doubt the switch is the problem, more likely the adjustment on the shifter rod by the transmission.
Loosen the nut and extend the rod about 2mm, and try again, may take a little playing to get it right.
If there is too much play in the linkage in can cause problems as well, if that is the case check the bushings on the z-bar (between the frame and transmission)
There is another bushing at the base of the column (engine side).

Alan

Hi,
think i´ve a problem with my safety switch on my 69´Newport. The engine starts in neutral position only but not in the parking position. Probably its only an adjusting thing....Where is the switch located? Thank you.

Under the car, remove the shift rod from the shift lever. Push the lever on the transmission to park position. Make sure the shifter in the car is in Park. The end of the shift rod should drop cleanly in the hole for the transmission shift lever. If not adjust until it does. Put a meter from the center pin on the start safety switch at the transmission to ground with the car in Park and you should have continuity. Do this check in Neutral as well. If you can get continuity in one position but not the other, the linkage has too much slack and must be repaired. Another indicator of worn/out of adjustment shifter arms and rods is when the reverse lights don't come on in reverse ( provided you have a three pin safety switch ).

Back