Sagging Seat Springs

Furyus67

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the seat covers in my '67 Fury III. Is there any solution for the sagging Seat Springs. The drivers side is pretty warn out and the driver sinks pretty low when sitting. Any ideas?

Unless you have experience have a qualified upholstery shop do all of the spring and recovering work. You'll be glad you did in the end. They can also replace any compromised seat or seat back cushions and any worn or torn felt and jute as well. Springs and seat covers can be difficult to install without the proper tools, time and patience.

Greg

Obviously, several of the seat spring segments need to be replaced. Possibly some of the foam, too? Check the condition of the burlap, too.

CBODY67

Get a spare seat from the boneyard and use the the wiggley wire from the passenger side to replace worn or broken ones on the drivers side. Also it would be handy to have a pair of hog-ring pliers and a box of brand new hog rings. R &R of the hog rings can me done without the pliers if your careful and take your time. I did the driver side front seat on my 1st 68 PK21, this car had the heavy duty cop car seats with the extra spring platform in the middle of each seating area front & rear but had a couple of the wiggley wires broken. I also had to weld up the frame of the seat down by the 2dr seat tilt latch area as that was all cracked and broken giving the car the Ghetto ride way before it's time. The car wasn't that old when I got it and it must of had a big 'Moose' of a Trooper assigned to it.

In ‘68. They used burlap with spring wire woven through and attached across the springs. This created a system of springs vs each coil trying to work it’s own. If you want to do it the hard way. You can follow this thread I put together to do mine.
Epic 68 Polara bench seat rebuild for originality

or you can tie the springs together with listing wire and clips to recreate the spring system.
listing wire is a paper coated wire commonly used in upholstery. You would run it lengthways on the edges of the coils effectively tying each coil together to work as a system.
If you have collapsed coils then you need some replacements.

So back when I was 18 I worked in an upholstery shop tearing down old seats and replacing the seat covers. I have the hog rings and hog ring pliers and the knowledge of how they go on. I never messed with replacing anything on the frames or the springs. I probably could go talk to the ol owner of the shop and see if he could do some of the spring work and listing wire as he has 40 years experiance. I got the installation burlap and foam kit from Legendary. I didn't know of any vendors remaking springs and seat accessories though, so thanks for the recommendations

Back