Salvage Yard Runner - No Title

cgunz410

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a 67 Fury 3 with no title, pulled as a running, driving car from the salvage yard. It was totalled by insurance co. in 1998, but the car is straight and solid. I can't find any repairs to the frame or panels beyond some rust repair in the rear quarters. The body is very solid, barely any bondo and all the original paint inside the fenders matches the rest of the body. Called DMV in Delaware and they said since the current owner did not get a salvage title from the scrap yard, they cannot give me a title for it. I've registered things in Vermont before, and I've also heard about South Dakota option. I don't mind putting it through local or neighboring state inspection (for the certificate and VIN verification) and registering in VT or SD as both are perfectly legal ways to register a vehicle, but would prefer to stay in DE and do it the "right" way.

I had fun with a title a few years ago... I very likely will never buy another car w/o a clear tile because of it.

I think your best route, that is if you really want this car, is a bonded title.

How can you register a car in vermont or south dakota, if you are not a legal resident of either state?

They don't care about residency. It's a common trick to get a motorcycle registered without a title. I've already got my dirt bike registered there and insured through my regular insurance agency. They also don't care about title for any vehicle 15 years or older. Motorcycles under 300cc don't even need a VIN verification form. Mines bigger, so i took it to the local state police barracks and they notarized the VIN form no problem. I've heard they stopped so I'll have to just get a Maryland inspection if i go that route for this car. The state inspection works in place of the Vermont VIN verification form. Everything is done by mail, no Vermont inspection from what I've read.

Back