Satanic head lights.

74Monaco CHP

Reaction score
Okay I finding a problem with my low beams on my 73 fury they will stop working for a little bit from time to time. The high & lows will work together when the dimmer switch is pressed. The markers, parking lights & taillamps will work even when the low beams are out. I replaced the dimmer switch and found a small knick in the wire (green) which I taped. Nothing else appears amiss. I do know that the reostate headlight switch will turn off if I am too rough turning on the lights. I've tried wrenching it back and forth but still nothing. could the switch be bad or is there some other connection or wiring I should check. They seem to work and go out after several uses or as if something get hot. I checked before I changed the dimmer and they were working. ....driving me crazy.
mad.png

I sure would hate having to yank apart the dash if I don't have too.

Well I just came back in retried the dimmer switch and nothing. I then tested and its getting juice with & w/o when the dimmer is pushed so it appears okay. I even put the old one back, no difference. I went under the hood and confirmed that there was no juice to the low beam at all when they were just on. I pulled off the low beam plug, when the high beam were activated it had juice. I trace the wires back to the starter relay and touched them a couple time to check for and interupt noting stood out and the headlight wires are still wrapped in tape on both sides of the firewall new on the inside. Well after all that they came back on...WTF.
Could there be something in the wire loom or the starterd relay that makes a difference? It was replaced back in 04. :rant5:

Well think we nailed it down, went back through ever step 5 times
power to switch check
power from switch to dimmer check
checked and cleaned all grounds.

power from bulkhead.......varies when the switch is on it shows power, but then nothing coming out. We played with the wires and then finally unwrapped some of the loom, nothing all okay. Suddenly the lights come on as normal, WTF. its got to be a loose wire. The meters are showing low voltage but not a short. Well its back to the bulkhead we find the source wires. There are 2 purple/violet wires coming out appears they never were completely set in, a little persuasion with a screwdriver and they are pushed into place. My lights now stay on. We we wrapped the looms as factory and were back in business.

:sSig_wootwoot:

Back