Satin or Gloss on interior panels?

WissaMan

Reaction score
Northeast PA, 10 minutes from Knoebels Grove
I'm refinishing the door panels in the 68 convertable which has pearl white interior. I'm using SEM Sailcloth white as the base color and Herb's interior paint for the pearl effect which gives me good results.

Since white interior is so hard to keep clean, I'd like to put a durable clear coat over top so that it can be cleaned without damaging the finish. I'm thinking something like this:

Eastwood 2K Aerospray Clear Coat Matte & High-Gloss

But I'm up in the air over whether to use the gloss or satin. I worry that gloss will be too shiny and that the satin won't be shinny enough. Which should I pick? Or is there another alternative?

The only things that should be gloss on these cars is the paint on the body and the upper door frames that aren’t upholstered.

So do you think the satin clear coat will provide a good finish? Not too dull?
I prefer satin myself but there’s nothing about the paint you posted a link to that makes me think it’s a viable option for something that needs to remain flexible. I personally can’t recommend such a product.

MM, matte is different to satin too, matte has no sheen at all, it is totally flat, unlike satin which has about 50% shine to it.

I looked at SEM and they have some clears in their Color Coat line

upload_2020-6-29_13-4-26.png

Their tech support recommended the Low Luster Clear to match the look of factory vinyl, which he said is even lower gloss than the satin. Does that sound appropriate advice?

I also asked what would happen if you used a vinyl treatment on it, like Armor All. He said as long as it doesn't have alcohol in it, it'd be fine, but anything with alcohol will ruin it.

I used color coat recently to paint the faded black carpet in the Mobile Director and I am pleased at how it turned out. How long will it hold up I do not know.

I'm interested in doing a color change to the interior on my convertible. Since I live in south Florida I want something that won't get too hot. The pearl white is a great option rather than going to a cloth seat. Please post some pics.

Thanks, Mike

Follow up on this....

I bought both the SEM Satin Gloss clear and Low Luster Clear and tried both out on a small spot. IMO the Satin Gloss had a more appropriate finish than the low luster. The low luster I'd actually call a matte finish, no shine at all.

Back