Saved car #2 70 300

62dodge

Reaction score
car photos 023.jpg002.jpg002.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg009.jpgWell I finally started on my other "Kee" car the blue one. First pulled the oil filter it was a mopar filter awesome, bad news is that I smelled gas in the oil filter will need a fuel pump. Next I pulled the valve covers to prelube the rockers more bad news bent push rod (#6 intake ) I decided to stop for the night, I want to take a peek at the lifters and it got to dark more news Tuesday. Here are some pix From where it all started to today

car photos 023.jpg

002.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

Good work. When I see a bent push rod like that, it can suggest someone tried to run the vehicle on old gas. The varnish in old gas will cause valve stems to seize in the valve guides, leading to a bent push rod, especially with a low mileage engine (what does the odometer say in your car?). I would remove the rocker shaft/arms on the side of the engine with the bent valve and check movement of the valve that had the bent pushrod. If stuck, I would put some penetrant such as carb cleaner in the stem area and let it soak. Then after a day or so, go ahead and try to loosen the valve by tapping on it with a hammer as needed to loosen it. Once it is free put a new push rod in place and you might get lucky. I have had this situation several times when I bought a vehicle that someone had tried to run on old gas and this technique worked - the engines were all running well. Good luck.

This isn't Tuesday but here is an update. First don't hate me for this next sentence. Since the valve is stuck good, I am going to remove all the parts that I need for my vert (am/fm 8 track,power ant remote trunk release, various under hood stuff) also the motor will be removed for future rebuilding. Now the good news I have a friend that wants the car for his daughter and I'm going to accept a trade for a rebuilt 413 for my 62 chrysler. We will be installing a running 440 into the 300 so the car will live again

Yup. Loving ya. Phonies would just strip the 300 and send the hulk to the crusher or worse. You make us proud.

I have a hard time imagining a daughter that would appreciate this car or know what to do with it. Hope it survives.

I decided not to remove the remote trunk release as it is vacuum operated or the power ant. But I did remove the am/fm 8 track I discovered the radio came from a 69 town station wagon. Also I put new shoes and caps on her.002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Geez... That girl sure won't appreciate that nice wheelwell and rocker trim like I would....

Just saying....

Howdy all long story short I bought this car back. Does anybody need parts as I will not be building this car I will be using parts for my 70 Vert

Its a damn shame that a nice car like the blue one with no visible rust isn't going to survive. Nicely optioned too. A stuck valve from varnish isn't hard to free up at all. What parts do you need for your convertible that you neeed to destroy the blue one?

I will cry if you part that car out. Please dont. It is in nice shape.

What has happened to this car in the past 22 months since this post was started? That 300 is too nice to part out.
Any current pic?

Hey mate, before you do part her out, at least put the word out to other members here to see if we have the parts you need for your convertible. Who knows? Maybe someone can help out and in doing so it saves the coupe? Its an idea anyway.

Its a damn shame that a nice car like the blue one with no visible rust isn't going to survive. Nicely optioned too. A stuck valve from varnish isn't hard to free up at all. What parts do you need for your convertible that you neeed to destroy the blue one?
I will be swapping out the dashes am/fm 8 track for am only dash, front valance (dents verses no dents) also rear tail lite panel as I like the 300 lites better. Also spare disc brake set up. This car will stay together its my parts bank. Unless some one can use parts.

Hey mate, before you do part her out, at least put the word out to other members here to see if we have the parts you need for your convertible. Who knows? Maybe someone can help out and in doing so it saves the coupe? Its an idea anyway.
On the parts front I found a gentleman in Nevada with the parts but I lost his number and the parts were almost 1k dollars. It just makes more sense to do it this way. Plus there is shipping or driving to pick up parts. The only one who makes money on parts are UPS, Fed-Ex etc.

Back