Saw a 1968 Crown Imperial 4-Door Hardtop today...

53ryder

Reaction score
Took a ferry trip over to the Kitsap Pennisula to see a 1968 Crown Imperial. 440cid, auto tranny. Light tan/cream in color with a red brown interior. Has a little rust bubbling up on one corner of the trunk. Didn't find any rust anywhere's else.

The owner said he recently had the AC serviced, adding a new compressor and charging the AC with a modern refrigerant, not freon. Today was very nice in western Washington so I ran the AC for a litttle while. After driving and stoping in a parking lot across from the owners home I noticed a little water on the driver side floor mat. Now I'm guessing condensation from the AC? Should that be there? May something be leaking a tad? Is this something just an minor irritation? Or the sign of bigger problems? I don't know so I'm asking.

The asking price is under $5,000. Seems a reasonable price but am concerned about the water/condensation on the interior.

Make an offer or stay away? Need help!

Glenn

Last edited:
Took a ferry trip over to the Kitsap Pennisula to see a 1968 Crown Imperial. 440cid, auto tranny. Light tan/cream in color with a red brown interior. Has a little rust bubbling up on one corner of the trunk. Didn't find any rust anywhere's else.

The owner, who is 25, said he recently has the AC serviced, adding a new compressor and charging the AC with a modern refrigerant, not freon. Today was very nice in western Washington so I ran the AC for a litttle while. After driving and stoping in a parking lot across from the owners home I noticed a little water on the driver side floor mat. Now I'm guessing condensation from the AC? Should that be there? May something be leaking a tad? Is this something just an minor irritation? Or the sign of bigger problems? I don't know so I'm asking.

The asking price is under $5,000. Seems a reasonable price but am concerned about the water/condensation on the interior.

Make an offer or stay away? Need help!

Glenn
Did you get any pics?? Easier to give honest opinion with pics.

Here's some shots I took.

So is the AC 'sweating' on the inside of the car a big problem or not necessarily?

Glenn

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

I'm not sure about the A/C.... Who painted the engine black? Also the front seat seems to be half redone. Looks nice otherwise.

Didn't ask about the engine color. Too novice about Imperials to know any better. The drivers seat has been redone at some point with a red-brown vinyl that is similar in color to the other seats but it does not have the pattern that the other seats have. The front passenger seat has some seams coming apart. The back seats look in very good shape all things considered.

Glenn

Nice car, did you take it for a test drive? My 67 coupe is a WA state car and is virtually rust free so I'm sure you'll have no worries there. From the info provided the asking price sounds fair. What else has been done to it?

The current owner has had it about 6 months. He's just a kid (25) to me. He's stated that the car has had the brakes done recently. He has serviced the AC. Now the front bumper and grill look in terrific shape considering the age. Makes me wonder if they were replaced or re-chromed at one time in the past. The engine is truly whisper quiet. Barely makes any noise while idling. Put my ear onto the front quarter panel and near the front cowl listening for any racket out of the engine. Very smooth running engine.

Glenn

P.S.- Yes I did drive it. Very tight steering. Hardly any work to turn the car. Did a panic stop, with hands off the steering wheel, to see if car would swerve left or right. Stopped in a straight line. That's good!

Last edited:
Show up with 4 grand cash and keep the other 500 in your pocket in case...car is probably worth 5K.

I think he's asking a fair price. Just wondering if anyone else has had their AC drip inside their car? Should I be worried or not?

Glenn

P.S.-
Googled 'Condensation from AC leaking into car'. Several websites mentioned the possibility of a clogged/plugged drain pipe. Does this sound right? Any AC experts here?

Last edited:
My coupe was born without a.c. And I have little interest in it but others on here are obsessed by it and somebody should be along at some point to answer your question.

Well just going by my other cars, which have A/C, all three have a ribbed rubber hose that goes from the heater box down to the floor on the passenger side. Purpose: drain condensation from inside the box to out under the car. If hose was missing, while inspecting a car, Ford owners would pull the carpet back to look at the floor pan.

Why can't they make beautiful cars anymore? That Imperial is a beauty and fairly priced...If you show with cash he'll probably take $3000. Sounds like a young man that can't afford to feed the 440.

Also know nothing about AC but be cautious. I would be asking some questions about the 440 given the paint job. Noise or no noise theres a lot of crap that can be put into the crankcase to quieten a motor and also look for traces of silicon in the coolant. Don't ask how I know...

Back