Scalped a formal.

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
Don't hate! She was destined for the great junkyard in the sky. Topside was not bad, bottom was sitting in long grass for who knows how long? and very rusty. One of the previous owners of my '71 New Yorker sunroof car just had to open the sunroof and apparently the switch wasn't working, so he simply snapped the very specific machined aluminum "pivot levers" pictured. He was nice enough to leave the remnants for me in the ashtray. I was going to just take those, then figured what if the motor or cables were part of the original problem? So I took it all, dimensionally it is smaller both ways, however it should be helpful nonetheless. I used a cold chisel and a three pound mini sledge to do the job. I was going to take the leather wrapped baby blue steering wheel just 'cause but the plastic center was badly cracked. The leather was worn an scratched in spots, still nice though.

WP_20170504_14_04_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20170504_14_02_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20170505_10_49_13_Pro.jpg

I feel bad sending my parts car to the heavens. Glad you got some useful parts, always a good feeling!

Excellent choice... brute force vs finesse. I hope you are able to get yours working from this.

Would you like to take preorders on the pieces you left behind:poke:View attachment 141718

I'm afraid that car was picked over faster than I could believe. The older ones don't show up as often any more. When I went back the next week the engine and trans were gone, grill, all lights, bumpers, and some jerk who's work I have seen before went through the interior with a prybar and pair of boltcutters, destroying the wiring harness. I at least threw an old hood that was lying around over the hole I created. What is it you're looking for?

Is that roof Assembly up for grabs? Do you know if it was cut out correctly to be used in another project?

I was thinking once I have fixed the one in my car this one won't be of use to me, so yes it will eventually be up for grabs. Not too soon though. Keep your eyes open, as this is proof you never know what you'll find. I took much care to remove it properly and it could be reinstalled properly, with alot of effort. The hole in roof/vinyl roof/headliner combo is no fun to fix. It is a nice feature when it's working through.

I'm afraid that car was picked over faster than I could believe. The older ones don't show up as often any more. When I went back the next week the engine and trans were gone, grill, all lights, bumpers, and some jerk who's work I have seen before went through the interior with a prybar and pair of boltcutters, destroying the wiring harness. I at least threw an old hood that was lying around over the hole I created. What is it you're looking for?
I'm not so worried myself, but there are some easy pickings parts there, window switches are quick and popular (but kinda cheap because we are Formal owners). Same for the radio, ashtray if GC... if you felt like more then 10 minutes the mirrors are also popular, the antenna is a holy grail item, but is a PITA... the nuts for the mirrors and antennae always seem to disappear, so they're popular too. I see you already know to grab any nice steering wheels. :thankyou:

Thank you for the response, I was more thinking about the others here who might be in need.

Back