SCAM ALERT; Moore's Auto Salvage in Rapid City, SD.

traintech55

Reaction score
As we all know you will have a hard time trying to find a part for a 53 year old car. I contacted these people for a Right Front Fender for my 1966 300. They told me they had one in stock, and sent me these picture's,
DSC06368.jpg
DSC06368.jpg

So I purchased the fender for $350.00 plus 70.00 shipping. I paid for it on the 17th of June. Now the fun begins, I do not hear anything from them for over a week, no tracking number, no phone call, nothing. So I contacted PayPal and started a claim, Last Saturday PayPal took the money back from them. Wouldn't you know now I get a phone call from the guy at 9:00 pm, claiming the weather had been so bad, they could not take it off the car. I then asked him about being decent and giving me a phone call, or an email. So he tells me he can have the fender off and ready to ship first thing monday morning. About 10:00 I get an email with this picture,
KIMG0031.JPG

I inform him that this fender is from a Newport, and I specified a 300. I then sent him these pictures of the differance,
IMG_20190610_132513042.jpg
IMG_20190610_130449684.jpg

IMG_20190610_132513042.jpg

Needless to say, I wouldn't buy a paper clip from these people after this. Be careful. Bill

DSC06369.jpg

I got the same run around about two years ago trying to purchase a pair of sport fury fenders. Paid the bill $700 for the pair and heard nothing. After about three weeks they finally got back to me saying that the weather was bad and that they were in the process of pulling the fenders as we speak. Another two weeks and still nothing. Then the whole crew was sick with the flu. At this point they stopped answering my E-Mails and the answering machine said the unit was full. I had Visa reverse the charges and filed a better business complaint and a further complaint with Hemmings. That got their attention and I got several frantic calls once the money went away. I was pissed at this point and did not take their calls. There were several other Better Business complaints with customers waiting many months to get parts. I do not believe this company is reputable. You might try www.wildcatmopars.com they are reputable and usually have a good selection of rust free mopar stuff.

Dave

Julie and I made a trip west 2 years ago. We stopped at Moores, asked permission and did the self guided tour thing. It was amazing at the numbers of cars they has that were complete (mostly). Asked about a couple of cars, a 64 Chrysler wagon and a 65 Satellite, got the story that both cars were sold. Then getting home I see an ad on their website that both cars were still available. Called about parts and pretty much got blown off. My guess is they either cater to only locals or are just hanging onto stuff for whatever reason......

THERE IS NO SCAM HERE!!!!!!!!!!
When I was stationed at Ellsworth in the early 80's, they were my main go to place for parts for my 66 Rambler American. There's no scam here! You just have to pay attention with what your doing when you do biz like that over the phone and I-net. Luckily for you, you paid attention and didn't wind up in a situation where your stuck with a fender you don't need and can't use. What would've happened if you hadn't paid attention? You'd be on here bitchin about how you got robbed when YOU YOURSELF didn't pay attention to what's being sold. I don't get some of you people with your worthless **** you spew out calling it scams! Please, go get your head examined!

When I was stationed at Ellsworth in the early 80's, they were my main go to place for parts for my 66 Rambler American. There's no scam here! You just have to pay attention with what your doing when you do biz like that over the phone and I-net. Luckily for you, you paid attention and didn't wind up in a situation where your stuck with a fender you don't need and can't use. What would've happened if you hadn't paid attention? You'd be on here bitchin about how you got robbed when YOU YOURSELF didn't pay attention to what's being sold. I don't get some of you people with your worthless **** you spew out calling it scams! Please, go get your head examined!
???????

Whether one calls this a scam or just shoddy business practice is to me irrelevant. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited two and a half months before I pulled the plug on the money. After that period of time I was no closer to getting my parts than I was when I paid the bill. Call it what you like but this does not appear to be a reputable operation.

Dave

Hey Stubb's, I did pay attention , and I did get my money back. I was trying to worn other members who have not been around the block a few times. Hope you have a great time buying parts from them.

Hope you have a great time buying parts from them.

Why do you speak in "present" tense when I was speaking in "past" tense? I moved out in 84, and I haven't had that Rambler now for over 25 years! If I understand you correctly. You paid 350 for a part that they hadn't pulled of the car yet, and when they finally do, they pull the wrong part?? Is that true? If so, that's the first problem right there!

Why do you speak in "present" tense when I was speaking in "past" tense? I moved out in 84, and I haven't had that Rambler now for over 25 years! If I understand you correctly. You paid 350 for a part that they hadn't pulled of the car yet, and when they finally do, they pull the wrong part?? Is that true? If so, that's the first problem right there!
Your first reply sounded like you were raking me over the coals. Just trying to inform fellow members.

Take a real close look. The fender on the car and the removed fender are two different ones. 300 fender on car, Newport fender off car.

They may have even doctored up the removed fender to look like the fender in the first pic.

I'd call it a scam too.

It's simple, you take someone's money, they get the (correct) part, delivered in a timely manner. If the part isn't as described they either get the part replaced or $ refunded. Again in a timely manner. Whether its a scam or poor business practices, a vendor is bound to be called out for their lack of good dealings, as it should be. Thank you Traintech55 for bring this to our attention, maybe it will save someone else from this grief!! Well done sir.

Stubb's, I get your points, they are slow as ****, like SMS, and you better know what you want to buy so you don't get screwed over from a seller for whatever reason, but comparing their service from 1984 to current day is a stretch. The old man died, or sold to his kid or whatever, but they aren't the same now, apparently. But trying to sell a different fender? Either stupidity like picki g a fender off the wrong white Chrysler, or making it look like the right fender, hoping the guy doesn't notice. Glad you got the parts you wanted back when!

I called them several years ago looking for a left rear quarter for my '65 Monaco. Said they had one(several possibly) and would take some pics and get back to me......over 2 months later.....nothing. Went thru the process a second time......same thing. Needless to say I did not give them a third chance and blew them off for a company to deal with. First impressions proved me right.......

i called there a few years back (5 maybe?) looking for a set of seat medallions for a 69 fury III.
first i had to explain what they were then was told, yeah we have lots of those, how many you need? i needed 12. he gave me a price (a little high for what they are i thought) but they were guaranteed to be good chrome.
the man says give me a couple of weeks as i only have two part time yard guys and one has been sick. about a month later a package shows up , i open it up and they are medallions for a sport fury. you would think the yard guy would question it when he had to cut up 3 set of seats to get enough, but oh well.
i call him up and explain who i am and what i bought. he says i told you they would be nice chrome. i explained they were wrong and he said no problem, send them back and he would get me the right ones. i ate the return shipping for something they probably threw in the trash but, two weeks later the correct ones were on my door step.
so, my take on that was that they have poor yard help that is unreliable. the owner seems to care but is limited on what he can do by himself. overall i ended up satisfied and happy to support an old car salvage yard as the resources are drying up more every day.

I got burned bad enough by Moores where I I feel I am justified to call them thieves.
Never again.

First, I am not supporting these guys, it is apparent that they do not know how to run a business. I grew up in Rapid City, and the people there, in my opinion, good sound respectful community. I guess these are not the norm. Sad to say, I second Davea about Wildcat and of course Murray Park as being stand up good people to do business with. There was also a yard in Montana that had a lot of Mopars, but I forget where right now. SDWeatherman lives in Rapid City, maybe he can help members here if they want to do business with Moore's. That's what this Forum is all about. A bunch of guys with some things in common that want to be in contact with others.

Nuff Said!

Back