Scenicruisin'..?

CUMMINS, DETROIT (DIESEL), CAT(ERPILLER). Period.
None of this Volvo crap. Nor Mercedes either.

i got "no dog in the fight"...but a "foreign" brand diesel hadnt crossed my mind, for or against. i just dont know the "what fers" though to take a pass for technical/operating reasons?

Last edited:
Now here's somethin' you dont see everyday...your results may vary.

Class8conversion.jpgClass8conversion1.jpgClass8conversion2.jpgClass8conversion3.jpg
Class8conversion4.jpgClass8conversion5.jpg

Class8conversion.jpg

Class8conversion1.jpg

Class8conversion2.jpg

Class8conversion3.jpg

Class8conversion4.jpg

Class8conversion5.jpg

That's the one. I know my old boss picked up about 1 mpg in over the Cummins ISX, in all the PACCAR engined trucks he bought and is continuing to buy them.

BTW, any youz big riggerz 'sidez me know that MB waz experimenting with ah couple 100 V-10z stuffed into a fleet of corn binderz back in the mid-late '70z. True, I had one scream past me some where around Sandusky Ohoho west bound and talked to the driver 'til we both got off at the 280 exit in Toledo. Pulled into the old 76 at that exit and before we went in for coffee I looked under both sidez of that COE Binder and sure enough. There on the rocker coverz on both sidez were 5 three pointed starz that have been the MB cymbal since Moses waz ah corporal. And the driver told me hiway speed in the top hole had the V-10 two cycle wound up to ah little more the 2750. Wonder what ever happened to that plan?

you truck drivin' cats know a lotta stuff...i just got through "Ok You Truckers" thread...neat stuff. i actually want the blue truck that starts that thread :)

anyway caught up with a Scenicruiser owner...he put a 2001 Series 60 DD in his bus. mpg was terrible on his 40,000 miles-since-3rd rebuild of original 8V71. said it "broke his heart" but he didnt regret it as it "kept him in his baby".

plus.his old DD went into another guy's mid 1960's vintage class 8 rig so it lived on in a way.

Close Stan but the rocker coverz were longer and flatter and more kinda like they came off ah 426 without the spark plug holez

Hey Jer, You sure Stan didn't nail it for you? A MB 400 Series diesel from the Mid 1970's

Trust me..I aint doubtin' what you saw. i'm just a newbie following crumbs on the trail - i take absolutely no offense to me being wrong :D.

I got this from German Wiki and translated it with Google (thats why some of the English looks funny):

"The entire production of first 400 engine series is as follows:

OM 401 V6
OM 402 V8
OM 403 V10
OM 404 V12
OM 404A V12 turbocharged

The development of these engines by the time of its amended minimum motorization for remote truck has been led by 8 hp / t. With 38 t for the control trailer revealed the 308 hp, this power was no longer viewed with the old engines. For trucks normally the 6/8/10-cylinder naturally aspirated engine were used, with a cylinder capacity of 32 hp, this resulted 192/256/320 hp. The then also spread 32t-train could be offered more favorable with the 8-cylinder engine as the 38t-train.

The aim was, expensive through the cooperation of both manufacturers primitives (such as engine blocks, crankshafts and flywheels) to share. The engines were to below the cylinder head gasket virtually identical, and piston (single) cylinder heads were vendor specific Mercedes direct (or at MAN with center ball method). Together turn the engines of both the manufacturer-line injection pump in the cylinder-V.

Due to the modular principle used the numbers for major components were further increased and reduced unit costs. The basic structure of the motors is always the same: If a V-angle of 90 degrees crankshaft has been extended by a bend of type number to type number and added two cylinders the lengthening V. In this way, the engines on a single production line could be processed mechanically. The crankshaft had only a crank pin for two opposing cylinders.

One thus took into account that only the V8 engine had a uniform firing interval. By contrast, the V6 engine was quite rough, but had a very low weight. The cylinder bore was a uniform 125 mm and the piston stroke for the smaller engines 130 mm, the 12-cylinder was 142 mm piston stroke. The 12-cylinder engine was the only one who was also offered as standard catalog turbocharged.

The first generation V10 diesel 400 series, released in 1970, was designated as the OM403 and develops power 235 kW (320 HP), The next generation of V6-diesel production Mercedes-Benz OM443 engine is presented, developing 245 kW (330 HP).

The 12-cylinder engine has not been used in regular Mercedes or MAN trucks only in special vehicles (eg heavy tractors). Due to its greater length he gave the only not fully covered by the cab but was back out. With altered peripheral equipment all engines were offered as built-in motors, marine propulsion, locomotive drives for small power plants and similar purposes."

MB OM 403.jpgMB OM 403-1.jpgMB OM 403-2.jpg

MB OM 403.jpg

MB OM 403-1.jpg

MB OM 403-2.jpg

Ya well maybe. It'z only been 'bout 40 yearz and the memory isn't the only thing that fadez. All I remember fosho iz that my K-100 big cam 350 waz piped rite at 79 MPH at 'bout 2250 when he went by me like I waz still at the end of the 2nd set with my toe nailz gettin' trimmed in the fan.

Ya well maybe. It'z only been 'bout 40 yearz and the memory isn't the only thing that fadez. All I remember fosho iz that my K-100 big cam 350 waz piped rite at 79 MPH at 'bout 2250 when he went by me like I waz still at the end of the 2nd set with my toe nailz gettin' trimmed in the fan.

well your sense of humor aint fadin' :icon_cheers:.

heck man the thing coulda been dirty/modded, or we still ain't found it in these pics, or as you reflect on it more about the event will come back to you?

i looked for all the MB V10 Diesels...this was all I saw in the era you met up with it with the "nads" (as far as I can tell..later mid-late '70's versions like the 443 were turbo-charged as well) to do what you experienced.

Back