Search help for sealing washer on trim clips

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find some sealing washers for my trim clips. It looks like a white mastic or crushable foam washer to prevent the clips from rattling against the paint. I cannot seem to find the right combination of search terms. I do not want to use silicone sealers. The studs are about 3/16” and the outside diameter is about 1/2”.

Any suggestions or source will be helpful.
Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm not sure what these are holding nor what sort of resiliency they yield but how do they differ from a nylon washer? Are they actually more like foam?

They compress to seal around the hole. They look similar to the foam used for mounting the accelerator pedal to the fire wall, but actually a little thicker. It is more like a white mastic rubber. It has hardened after 50 years but looks like it was very flexible and pliant when new.

You can cut these out of a couple of layers of foam packing material. Do not think anyone is re-producing these.

Dave

I could check with DMT. They have some larger foam sealing washers in some of their body kits. They use them to seal around the lights. I am not sure how good my washer cutting skills are. #11 in th picture may be a little large, but of course they are listed as N/A in their price list.
21AB1F20-D612-4EDF-A589-DE9F10B25820.png

I was in your situation a few months ago. I made my own from some foam tail light gasket material and had a hole punch kit (from Harbor Freight)

Yea, I'd have put these on the 'make em' list .. that or I'd find a softer rubber washer from a plumbing application.

I think I found something. I found a bag of what I thought were rubber washers in my random drawer, they are a black rubber mastic material. I think they would work. I think I was looking for some rear shock bolts, and I stumbled across them and thought they would be good to have around. I had thought they were pure rubber, but as I was looking at them last night I actually tore one apart (accidentally). They are soft and malleable and may be just the right constancy to seal. I will have to do some experimenting. If they work it will sure beat cutting some out.

I found the site again if I don't have enough in my little bag. Partsmix.com

upload_2018-7-9_9-59-50.png

I think these mastic washers are the ticket. I tried the 1/2” one. It compressed nicely. It does expand out to about 5/8”. I might try the .44” ones. It may not expand in as big of diameter. The original were about 1/2 after compression.
It leaves a nice sealing pattern.
Original size before compression on top.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back