seat belt bolts stripped

Interior

1. swisherred

swisherred Senior Member

I am in the process of finishing my floor and getting prepared to install the sound deadening and carpet I just bought. I removed the driver side seat belts with no issue, but the passenger side just keeps spinning. I can see the bolt is spinning and not the nut. WTF? Im certain I can cut the center bolt off and get it removed but how do i get the door side out without destroying the belt housing or the floor since the bolt goes into the body cavity below the door?????

2. swisherred

swisherred Senior Member

update...I did get the center bolt removed by cutting off the head and drilling it out using vise grips on the backside to keep it from spinning. I cannot do this to the doorside unless I cut an access hole in the wire channel for the vise grips. Maybe I can use a body plug and cap it later??? still looking.

3. swisherred

swisherred Senior Member

update...got them all. was able to drill the head off of the outside bolt, then remove the belt and drill out the rest. I did lose about 1/2" of bolt into the body, but what can I do about it besides throw a magnet in there and hope it stops rolling around.

4. live4theking

live4theking Old Man with a Hat

Persistence often is the key to getting something done. I like the idea of putting the magnet in the hole in the hopes that it catches the lost piece. I don't like rattles either.

5. swisherred

swisherred Senior Member

Well made progress...

20200524_112708.jpg

20200524_142320.jpg

20200524_170929.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Joseph James

Joseph James Senior Member

Floors look good.!

I had the nut pull out of the steel taking passenger side belt out. Found a plate tapped for standard 7/16-20 used for vehicles with no prior seatbelts. It welds in.