Seat cover and door panel questions.

71Polara383

Kid with ballcap
Reaction score
Is there anyone reproducing the correct seat covers for bucket seats in 71 Polaras, Monacos, and SFGTs? I've searched briefly without any luck. I figure this forum would have the information I am looking for as it always does.

Also...Has anyone re dyed door panels with successful long term results? What product did you use? Looking to go from black to white which seems like it could be problematic... I may be getting some green door panels for this project, they will be a bit lighter but not by much.

20180726_134636.jpg

20180726_134649.jpg

Try SMS autofabrics in Oregon smsautofabrics.com

They are slow but have one of the largest ranges of materials.

I believe many use Sem products to dye various components but black to white might be difficult, probably less hassle to get white door cards or materials from SMS.

Good luck with your car.

Try SMS autofabrics in Oregon smsautofabrics.com

They are slow but have one of the largest ranges of materials.

I believe many use Sem products to dye various components but black to white might be difficult, probably less hassle to get white door cards or materials from SMS.

Good luck with your car.
I know of SMS but have read some bad things. And some good things, so I have mixed feelings about shipping them my door panels.

Fair enough, others can advise based upon their experiences.
I have driver quality Polara panels that could go on the car until they came back. But I've heard that can take over a year if you are lucky. And you pay up front...if they are perfect it would be worth it to me.

I would buy some vinyl dye in the correct color and give it a try to see if it can cover the black. You will need a good paint gun with a fine nozzle because that dye needs to go on in real light coats so it doesn't run or hide the grain. As far as how well it will hold up, I think it should be fine as long as you don't put a ton of miles on the car with your arm up on the driver door panel.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess you're looking at $1500-$2000 minimum for SMS to make up new panels. It would be best if you could avoid having to spend that kind of dough on the panels since you're going to need it for the seats, as there are no repop covers made for the Dodges. Interior work is the real budget buster when it comes to restoring C Bodies if you don't have one of the few popular models that Legendary makes covers for.

Here's a panel that a friend of mine dyed, though it was done in it's original color, so hiding a darker color wasn't an issue.

20170627_222752.JPG

Jeff

SMS has the pattern for the 71 Sport Fury & GT bucket seats and for the door panels. Using NOS material, they want around $1900 for a seat cover upholstery kit for the 2 bucket seats and the rear seats and the wait time is 6 - 9 months. They also have the pattern to do the 71 Sport Fury/GT door panels but they are even more expensive. SMS did the seat covers and door panels for the 71 Sunroof GT that was at Carlisle and in a MOPAR Collectors Guide. I know that if you buy the NOS material and have a top notch upholstery shop do the work you won't save that much money vs. letting SMS make a kit.

I concur with much of what FURYGT said, and since the bucket seat patterns are the same between the Sport Furys and the Monacos in 1971, they would be a good source for the upholstery kit. SMS can also do the door panels but I have had two sets on order for my 1970-1 300s for 2 years now and I do not yet have them. I am going to find out if a squeaky wheel gets the grease with them soon. Nothing else works so far in receiving them. The cost for doing a set of all 4 panels for the these 2 models years of panels (that are the same) is about $1000. I am not sure whether they charge more for ones they have not done before as they already had the dies to make them from previous orders for the 70-1 300s. The Monaco door panels are not the same as the 71 Sport Furys. Call Kym there and she can fill you in on the prices.

I believe that you probably can achieve a color change from black to white using the SEM products, which I have used with good results. As Jeff said, if you minimize driving the vehicle a lot, it would probably hold up well.

I didn't realize that SMS could sew up a set of covers. I thought they were more of a supply house for obsolete fabrics that also made door panels. In a way, that's good to know, but if it takes three years to get your stuff, you might as well find a good local shop to do the work. Still a substantial difference in price compared to what Legendary charges for their seat cover sets.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that SMS could sew up a set of covers. I thought they were more of a supply house for obsolete fabrics that also made door panels. In a way, that's good to know, but if it takes three years to get your stuff, you might as well find a good local shop to do the work. Still a substantial difference in price compared to what Legendary charges for their seat cover sets.
You have a shop that does door panels around you? Every one I've asked tells me SMS.

Wyatt, use the SEM paint first, then try other options if that doesn't work.

Wayne, I agree with SEM White Vinyl Paint. Formerly forest green Fury III door panel from my 1970 Fury Convertible Had to use a lot of thin coats. The stuff works if you're patient. BTW, your blue 71 Polara coupe is a cool car!
Door Panel RS1.JPG

Door Panel RS4.JPG

Door Panel RS5.JPG

You have a shop that does door panels around you? Every one I've asked tells me SMS.

I should have written that clearer. I was referring to the seat upholstery, not the door panels. Bill had mentioned a time quote of 6-9 months on the seats, but that doesn't mean that they would actually be finished in that time frame.

Back